Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Richard Gliebe

Default HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller

Hello,

I'm trying to install CentOS 6.0 64bit on a HP ProLiant ML110 G7 with a
HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.

One logical drive (RAID 1+0) on the RAID Controller is already build.

CentOS Installation can't find the logical Drive, but it shows me the
zwo physical drives (sda+sdb). After searching the web, I found
following hints:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/raid-array-not-detected-new-hp-ml150g6-server-739130/

http://linuximagination.blogspot.com/2011/04/centos-installer-wasnt-detecting-sata.html

OK. Downloaded the file "hpahcisr-1.2.6-7.rhel5.x86_64.dd.gz" and do the
dd from another Linux workstation.

# dd if=hpahcisr-1.2.6-7.rhel5.x86_64.dd.gz of=/dev/sdb (4Gig USB Stick)

starting the CentOS 6.0 64 bit installation from the DVD

boot: linux dd

After loading the kernel, the installer is asking whether I have
driverdisk and asked to indicate which drive (sdc)

/dev/sdc is my 4Gig USB Stick.

My problem is now, the step "Driver Disk" is failed:
Failed to mount driver disk.

any hints are very, very welcome.

Thanks in advance
Richard

Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM
John R Pierce

On 10/24/11 3:04 AM, Richard Gliebe wrote:
> I'm trying to install CentOS 6.0 64bit on a HP ProLiant ML110 G7 with a
> HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.
>
> One logical drive (RAID 1+0) on the RAID Controller is already build.
>
> CentOS Installation can't find the logical Drive, but it shows me the
> zwo physical drives (sda+sdb). After searching the web, I found
> following hints:

wild guess says, that isn't really a raid controller, that its a
fake-raid, such as an Intel Matrix, where the 'raid' is done purely in
the BIOS and the Windows Driver.

you're better off reconfiguring that for JBOD in the BIOS, and letting
Linux see the physical disks (which it does, anywayas), and implementing
mdraid mirroring in Linux natively.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast