Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Ray Van Dolson

Default Netapp like snapshots using Centos 5/6 direct attached storage

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:56:52AM -0400, Scott McKenzie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm researching the best method of providing about 20 users in a
> production environment the same functionality as they would have on a
> Netapp NFS share. The O/S I will be using is CentOS 5 or 6 (max flex
> on which one) and the hardware is a disk array directly (12 SAS disks
> 7TB un-configured brand new) attached to a HP 580 G 7.
>
> I've done some reading on ZFS on Linux ,fuse-ZFS, BRTFS ,rsnapshot,
> snapFS.
>
> Any one have some advice or experiences to share?
>
> Thanks,
> spuds

ZFS will be the best, but FUSE ZFS is going to be slower and native ZFS
on Linux is still pretty young.

If you're tied to Linux and your users need absolute stability, I'd go
with tried and true LVM. If they can be a little more tolerant to
churn / downtime / adventure, the other options you mentioned could
become doable.

If you're _not_ tied to Linux, take a look at Nexenta Community Edition
or Illumos / Solaris Express.

Not familiar with your array, but if it does hardware based snapshots,
might be an option as well.

Ray

Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 AM
John R Pierce

On 10/23/11 7:52 PM, aurf alien wrote:
> Look into XFS+LVM.
>
> For XFS, you'll have to yum it via;
>
> yum install kmod-xfs xfs-progs xfs-dump
>
> This is in the centosplus repo.

XFS is native in C6, you just need xfs-utils from Base

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast