Old 10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
John Hinton

Default CentOS 4 Dovecot Problem

For those of you that still are running CentOS 4... I have one system
that is still going... there is a problem with the newest release of
Dovecot under mbox. Certain spam is causing this error when users try to
log on.

file lib.c: line 37 (nearest_power): assertion failed: (num <=
((size_t)1 << (BITS_IN_SIZE_T-1)))

Rolling back to a previous release fixes these issues. I'm not bothering
to file a bug with Redhat as the EOL is rapidly approaching and I just
about have my one system's users moved to a new server.

I have not as of yet seen this problem on CentOS 5 mbox systems, but I
don't have many users on those systems either as I'm 'slowly' migrating
all to CentOS 6 Maildir systems.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Grant McChesney

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM, John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote:

> For those of you that still are running CentOS 4... I have one system
> that is still going... there is a problem with the newest release of
> Dovecot under mbox. Certain spam is causing this error when users try to
> log on.
>
> file lib.c: line 37 (nearest_power): assertion failed: (num <=
> ((size_t)1 << (BITS_IN_SIZE_T-1)))
>
> Rolling back to a previous release fixes these issues. I'm not bothering
> to file a bug with Redhat as the EOL is rapidly approaching and I just
> about have my one system's users moved to a new server.
>
> I have not as of yet seen this problem on CentOS 5 mbox systems, but I
> don't have many users on those systems either as I'm 'slowly' migrating
> all to CentOS 6 Maildir systems.

I got bit by this bug as well. I rolled back to dovecot-0.9.11-9 for now
until I find time to upgrade to CentOS 5 or 6.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Scott Silva

on 11/1/2011 10:30 AM Grant McChesney spake the following:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM, John Hinton<webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote:
>
>> For those of you that still are running CentOS 4... I have one system
>> that is still going... there is a problem with the newest release of
>> Dovecot under mbox. Certain spam is causing this error when users try to
>> log on.
>>
>> file lib.c: line 37 (nearest_power): assertion failed: (num<=
>> ((size_t)1<< (BITS_IN_SIZE_T-1)))
>>
>> Rolling back to a previous release fixes these issues. I'm not bothering
>> to file a bug with Redhat as the EOL is rapidly approaching and I just
>> about have my one system's users moved to a new server.
>>
>> I have not as of yet seen this problem on CentOS 5 mbox systems, but I
>> don't have many users on those systems either as I'm 'slowly' migrating
>> all to CentOS 6 Maildir systems.
>>

> I got bit by this bug as well. I rolled back to dovecot-0.9.11-9 for now
> until I find time to upgrade to CentOS 5 or 6.
DO yourself a favor and use a dovecot from a third party repo... the 0.9
series is YEARS old.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 PM
John Hinton

On 11/1/2011 3:53 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 11/1/2011 10:30 AM Grant McChesney spake the following:
>> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM, John Hinton<webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For those of you that still are running CentOS 4... I have one system
>>> that is still going... there is a problem with the newest release of
>>> Dovecot under mbox. Certain spam is causing this error when users try to
>>> log on.
>>>
>>> file lib.c: line 37 (nearest_power): assertion failed: (num<=
>>> ((size_t)1<< (BITS_IN_SIZE_T-1)))
>>>
>>> Rolling back to a previous release fixes these issues. I'm not bothering
>>> to file a bug with Redhat as the EOL is rapidly approaching and I just
>>> about have my one system's users moved to a new server.
>>>
>>> I have not as of yet seen this problem on CentOS 5 mbox systems, but I
>>> don't have many users on those systems either as I'm 'slowly' migrating
>>> all to CentOS 6 Maildir systems.
>>>

>> I got bit by this bug as well. I rolled back to dovecot-0.9.11-9 for now
>> until I find time to upgrade to CentOS 5 or 6.
> DO yourself a favor and use a dovecot from a third party repo... the 0.9
> series is YEARS old.

We've dealt with if for nearly 7 years now and only have a few months to
go. The problems have been few. I posted this to help those make it
through to February. I delayed moving folks from the v4 systems waiting
for the v6 systems so as to gain a couple or few more years before EoL
for them and for other reasons that v5 does not properly address.
Clients don't like to be moved around. In a perfect world, email client
programs would not have problems with these moves... but we don't live
in a perfect world. Those problems irritate the clients and increase our
tech support by multiple times. Heading off into a repo 1.x upgrade at
this point is rather silly IMO.