Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Scott McKenzie

Default Netapp like snapshots using Centos 5/6 direct attached storage

Hello,

I'm researching the best method of providing about 20 users in a production environment the same functionality as they would have on a Netapp NFS share.
The O/S I will be using is CentOS 5 or 6 (max flex on which one) and the hardware is a disk array directly (12 SAS disks 7TB un-configured brand new) attached to a HP 580 G 7.

I've done some reading on ZFS on Linux ,fuse-ZFS, BRTFS ,rsnapshot, snapFS.

Any one have some advice or experiences to share?

Thanks,
spuds

Old 10-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Scott McKenzie <spuds66@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm researching the best method of providing about 20 users in a production environment the same functionality as they would have on a Netapp NFS share.
> The O/S I will be using is CentOS 5 or 6 (max flex on which one) and the hardware is a disk array directly (12 SAS disks 7TB un-configured brand new) attached to a HP 580 G 7.
>
> I've done some reading on ZFS on Linux ,fuse-ZFS, BRTFS ,rsnapshot, snapFS.
>
> Any one have some advice or experiences to share?

IMHO,
Currently none can beat ZFS features. If you look in wikipedia, only
ZFS has "YES" in all the columns.
I've tried fuse-zfs, not bad. The snapshot works great.
However performance is rather heavy.
ZFS on Linux is worth exploring.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 AM
aurf alien