Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Robert Heller

Default What replaces /sbin/hotplug in CentOS 5?

What subsystem replaces /sbin/hotplug in CentOS 5? The older hotplug
package is missing from CentOS 5 and /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug yields an
empty string. Since hotpluging for standard devices still seems to
work, I presume that something replaces the hotplug helper found on
CentOS 4. Can someone point me in the right place? All of my
Googleing points me back to the (obsolete?) /sbin/hotplug subsystem
(Google is just not being helpful!). I'm guessing udev and/or HAL are
involved somehow, but I am having a hard time figuring out what I need
to do.

Specificly, I have a special USB device (a PI Engineering Rail Driver
Console device) that I have written a daemon for that I need to launch
when the device is plugged in and when the device is unplugged, the
daemon needs to be killed. For CentOS 4, I used a script fired up from
the /sbin/hotplug via /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap -- what to I use for
CentOS 5 (and eventually CentOS 6)?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/21/2011 08:07 PM, Robert Heller piše:
> What subsystem replaces /sbin/hotplug in CentOS 5? The older hotplug
> package is missing from CentOS 5 and /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug yields an
> empty string. Since hotpluging for standard devices still seems to
> work, I presume that something replaces the hotplug helper found on
> CentOS 4. Can someone point me in the right place? All of my
> Googleing points me back to the (obsolete?) /sbin/hotplug subsystem
> (Google is just not being helpful!). I'm guessing udev and/or HAL are
> involved somehow, but I am having a hard time figuring out what I need
> to do.
>
> Specificly, I have a special USB device (a PI Engineering Rail Driver
> Console device) that I have written a daemon for that I need to launch
> when the device is plugged in and when the device is unplugged, the
> daemon needs to be killed. For CentOS 4, I used a script fired up from
> the /sbin/hotplug via /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap -- what to I use for
> CentOS 5 (and eventually CentOS 6)?

I think you are supposed to use udev and /etc/udev/rules.d/

Geting up HP Printer on CentOS 5.x when USB 2.0 does not work properly:

modprobe -r uhci_hcd; modprobe -r ehci_hcd; modprobe uhci_hcd; modprobe
ehci_hcd

usb_printerid /dev/usb/lp0
udevd restart
service haldaemon restart

If firmware loading during intallation does not work, use:

make install-hotplug !!!
(in /etc/udev/rules.d add 11-hplj10xx.rules file ???)

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...