Old 10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Ron Young

Default How to remove a Trash folder from a mounted ntfs partition

How about put the HDD back in the laptop, download and burn dban (
http://www.dban.org/download) to a CD and boot the laptop to the CD?

Regards,

Ron Young
919-621-9015
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronhyoung

+++++++++++++++++++
Little tiny dreams require little tiny thoughts and little tiny steps.
Great big dreams require great big thoughts and little tiny steps.
+++++++++++++++++++
*Kosh*: The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to
vote.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/21/2011 06:40 PM, Ron Young piše:
> How about put the HDD back in the laptop, download and burn dban (
> http://www.dban.org/download) to a CD and boot the laptop to the CD?

There is also Hiren's Boot CD with ton of tools and even Mini Windows
booted from Hiren's Boot CD not touching the HDD.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 AM
David

On 22 October 2011 02:24, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> CentOS-5.7 using fuse-ntfs-3g
>
> I have a HDD from a laptop that is being returned for
> repair replacement. *I wish to remove certain files before
> sending the laptop back with the HDD.
>
> I have mouunted the HDD on my desktop as an ntfs
> filesystem using an external SATA / USB adapter. *As root
> I then used the gnome desktop to move the desired files to
> trash. *Now I wish to delete the contents of the trash
> folder and the folder itself. This I cannot do. *I have
> tried deleting using rm -rf ./.Trash-root but the command
> simply has no effect. *It raises no error and it does not
> remove the Directory or its contents.
>
> For convenience I renamed the directory to DeleteME using
> move, which worked. As expected through, all attempts to
> remove DeleteME still fail silently. *The permission bits
> are set thus:
>
> dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 488 Oct 21 10:54 DeleteMe
>
> I have tried chmod -R 777 DeleteMe but this has no effect
> on the permissions.
>
> How do I get rid of this thing?

Ideas:
1) Try in runlevel 3 ie without gnome/X running.
2) If selinux is running on the desktop, set it to permissive.
3) What does the output of mount command say about the ntfs partition?
4) What options did you specify when mounting the ntfs partition?
5) Have you considered the mount options for ntfs as documented in man mount?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Friday 21 October 2011 11:24, James B. Byrne wrote:

> CentOS-5.7 using fuse-ntfs-3g

> I have mouunted the HDD on my desktop as an ntfs
> filesystem using an external SATA / USB adapter. As root
> I then used the gnome desktop to move the desired files to
> trash. Now I wish to delete the contents of the trash
> folder and the folder itself. This I cannot do. I have
> tried deleting using rm -rf ./.Trash-root but the command
> simply has no effect. It raises no error and it does not
> remove the Directory or its contents.

You say that the disk is formatted as NTFS, presumably for use with
Windows, yet you mention deleting the files with the Gnome desktop and
then deleting them from .Trash. I'm therefore very confused about how
you're trying to delete the files.

If the files to be deleted are in a NTFS filesystem which is mounted
under Linux, simple delete them. Since Windows isn't running, they
won't be moved to Windows's trash directory, called $Recycle.Bin.

I think that you should be more concerned about deleting Windows's swap
file (pagefile.sys), $Recycle.Bin, and the directory System Volume
Information, and then overwriting the free space. Even better, if the
disk is to be replaced, why not overwrite the entire disk using shred?

Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"La Esperanta Civito ne rifuzas anticipe la kunlaboron de erarintoj, se
ili konscias pri sia eraro." -- Heroldo Komunikas, n-ro 473.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> folder and the folder itself. This I cannot do. *I have
> tried deleting using rm -rf ./.Trash-root but the command

Try deleting with the -f option. I.e., rm -r .Trash-root. This will
at least tell you what the issue is. Once you fix the issue preventing
deletion, go ahead and add the -rf (or unalias your rm command )..

Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/21/11 8:24 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have a HDD from a laptop that is being returned for
> repair replacement. I wish to remove certain files before
> sending the laptop back with the HDD.

boot a Linux rescue USB or CD to a shell prompt

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=65536

this will as quickly as possible zero the entire disk, effectively
erasing all files. with modern disks, a single pass of zeros is about
as good as it gets, the old multipass secure "DOD" erasure was designed
for antique disks that had bits the size of sand grains. even this
fast single pass of zeros will take an hour or so to wipe 300gb.

or, if you've connected this disk to a linux PC with a USB adapter or
whatever, do the same command, replacing sda with the correct physical
drive (no partition numbers)

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/22/2011 11:59 PM, Yves Bellefeuille piše:
> On Friday 21 October 2011 11:24, James B. Byrne wrote:
>
>> CentOS-5.7 using fuse-ntfs-3g
>
>> I have mouunted the HDD on my desktop as an ntfs
>> filesystem using an external SATA / USB adapter. As root
>> I then used the gnome desktop to move the desired files to
>> trash. Now I wish to delete the contents of the trash
>> folder and the folder itself. This I cannot do. I have
>> tried deleting using rm -rf ./.Trash-root but the command
>> simply has no effect. It raises no error and it does not
>> remove the Directory or its contents.
>
> You say that the disk is formatted as NTFS, presumably for use with
> Windows, yet you mention deleting the files with the Gnome desktop and
> then deleting them from .Trash. I'm therefore very confused about how
> you're trying to delete the files.

He is saying, which I think i also have seen on my USB Flash drive,
system immediately re creates Trash folder. He would like to delete it
and unmount without recreating Trash folder.

Best course of action is to return HDD to it's PC, boot up and then
delete Trash folder.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/23/2011 01:53 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic piše:
> He is saying, which I think i also have seen on my USB Flash drive,
> system immediately re creates Trash folder. He would like to delete it
> and unmount without recreating Trash folder.

I just re-read his original post. I made a wrong assumption.

> Best course of action is to return HDD to it's PC, boot up and then
> delete Trash folder.

This is still best thing to do.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Saturday 22 October 2011 19:53, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> He is saying, which I think i also have seen on my USB Flash drive,
> system immediately re creates Trash folder. He would like to delete
> it and unmount without recreating Trash folder.

I've seen your correction, but I still don't understand where
this .Trash-root directory comes from.

The user says that he's running CentOS 5.7 and Gnome, but under Gnome
the trash directory is simply named .Trash, not .Trash-root, and
deleting a file from an NTFS file system mounted under Linux doesn't
move it to .Trash.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that if the hard disk will be replaced,
it's better to overwrite the entire disk, using shred or dd (as John R.
Pierce suggested), or a Windows utility.

Yves

Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/23/2011 02:35 AM, Yves Bellefeuille piše:
> I've seen your correction, but I still don't understand where
> this .Trash-root directory comes from.
>
> The user says that he's running CentOS 5.7 and Gnome, but under Gnome
> the trash directory is simply named .Trash, not .Trash-root, and
> deleting a file from an NTFS file system mounted under Linux doesn't
> move it to .Trash.

My observation is that .Trash is for normal users and .Trash-root is
when you delete as Root. I sometimes use Krusader (under Gnome) in root
mode, and that could account for .Thrash-root in my case. Maybe he did
something similar.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)