Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
"Giles Coochey"

Default Centos 6 - named with internal zone file and forwarding

Hi All,

I have two Centos 6 servers running BIND.

I have configured the two servers to run internal zones as a master /
slave setup.

My gateway runs DNSmasq and I would like all other requests for lookups to
be sent to the DNSmasq system.

I have added the following:

forward first;
forwarders {
172.16.0.1;
};

Where 172.16.0.1 is the host running DNSmasq.

For some reason I still cannot resolve anything outside my network.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Giles

Old 10-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Giles Coochey <giles@coochey.net> wrote:

> I have two Centos 6 servers running BIND.
>
> I have configured the two servers to run internal zones as a master /
> slave setup.
>
> My gateway runs DNSmasq and I would like all other requests for lookups to
> be sent to the DNSmasq system.
>
> I have added the following:
>
> forward first;
> *forwarders {
> * *172.16.0.1;
> *};
>
> Where 172.16.0.1 is the host running DNSmasq.
>
> For some reason I still cannot resolve anything outside my network.
>
> Any pointers?

Your servers running bind should be able to resolve outside names
with or without a forwarder if they have internet access. Are you
sure /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to the right nameservers? Try
using 'dig @resolver_ip some_name' to test both the dnsmasq system
and your bind servers individually.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Giles Coochey

[...]

ugg... turns out I had a rather embarassing typo in named.conf... it all
works now.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/23/2011 01:18 PM, Giles Coochey piše:
> On 21/10/2011 16:27, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Your servers running bind should be able to resolve outside names
>> with or without a forwarder if they have internet access. Are you
>> sure /etc/resolv.conf is pointing to the right nameservers? Try
>> using 'dig @resolver_ip some_name' to test both the dnsmasq system
>> and your bind servers individually.
>>

> ugg... turns out I had a rather embarassing typo in named.conf... it all
> works now.

It is nothing to be ashamed of. We all had similar errors, an most
likely will have them in the future.

There is human ability to correct words as we read, so we overlook
"obvious" errors:

Acrcndiog to resecarh at Cimdrgabe Unierivsty, it deson't meattr what
oderr the lertets in a word are, the only ionramptt thnig is that the
frist and last lttrees are at the right palce. The rset can be a toatl
mess and you can sitll raed it wutihot a pboelrm. This is becsuae we do
not raed every letetr by itself but the wrod as a whloe.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Peter Eckel

Hi Giles,

Am 23.10.2011 um 13:18 schrieb Giles Coochey <giles@coochey.net>:

> ugg
> ... turns out I had a rather embarassing typo in named.conf... it all works now.

that tends to happen pretty easily, I know. When I do changes to the BIND configs, I made a habit of using named-checkconf/named-checkzone every time and also checking the log after restarting the daemon.

It's still no sure-fire remedy, but it helps a lot.

Cheers,

Peter.