Old 10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Jerry Geis

Default What happened to 6.1

Hi gang - Love CentOS - you guys to a fabulous job.

It has been a while since I saw any update...
I went to twitter.com/centos nothing there,
twitter.com/centos6 nothing there,
went to the qa calendar stuff nothing there.

Last I saw was something in September saying all
RPM's are built and doing ISO's. Then nothing.

I know the whole story about its ready when its ready and
I'm all for that... Its simply I went looking today and saw no
status and was wondering what happened. Perhaps I am looking
in the wrong place.

Thanks!

jerry

Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi gang - Love CentOS - you guys to a fabulous job.
>
> It has been a while since I saw any update...
> I went to twitter.com/centos nothing there,
> twitter.com/centos6 nothing there,
> went to the qa calendar stuff nothing there.
>
> Last I saw was something in September saying all
> RPM's are built and doing ISO's. Then nothing.

Oddly enough, my manager just walked in a couple hours ago, and asked me
why I thought there hadn't been any updates to our 6.0 boxen.

Everything's being rolled into the CR repo, so there do not appear to be
any "ordinary" 6.0 updates.

mark, annoyed, and having to install 300+ package updates
to the 6.0 systems, and hope nothing breaks*

* On the other hand, maybe I'll see annoyance fixes, like Pidgen, that
pops *under* other windows, the quirky screen handling in rxvt, and, oh
yes, the "yes" buttons lack of attention after I click "logout" from the
menu.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Everything's being rolled into the CR repo, so there do not appear to be
> any "ordinary" 6.0 updates.

well yes: upstream is at 6.1, so updates are happening for 6.1 and 6.0
won't receive any more "ordinary upates". The update path for 6.0 is
through 6.1 .
centos is offering CR which allows you to stay up-to-date even though
C6.1 is not released yet. When it is released, if you have used CR you
will just have very few packages to update.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Steve Walsh

On 10/21/2011 06:09 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> well yes: upstream is at 6.1, so updates are happening for 6.1 and 6.0
> won't receive any more "ordinary upates". The update path for 6.0 is
> through 6.1 .
> centos is offering CR which allows you to stay up-to-date even though
> C6.1 is not released yet. When it is released, if you have used CR you
> will just have very few packages to update.

Except.

If you have a 6.0 machine, and enable the cr/ repo, then you don't just
get the 6.0 updates. You get most of the post-6.0 updates, plus what's
been built for 6.1 (effectively still in QA), plus some post 6.1 updates
(Again, still in QA). As far as I'm aware, there's now way to say "Just
give me the 6.0 updates you have" when using the cr/ repo.

I am more than happy to be corrected on this operation of the cr repo
tho, as I've held off on updating boxes with the cr/ repo so as not to
get "untested" updates.

Regards

Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Steve Walsh <steve@nerdvana.net.au> wrote:
> Except.
>
> If you have a 6.0 machine, and enable the cr/ repo, then you don't just
> get the 6.0 updates. You get most of the post-6.0 updates, plus what's
> been built for 6.1 (effectively still in QA), plus some post 6.1 updates
> (Again, still in QA). As far as I'm aware, there's now way to say "Just
> give me the 6.0 updates you have" when using the cr/ repo.
>
> I am more than happy to be corrected on this operation of the cr repo
> tho, as I've held off on updating boxes with the cr/ repo so as not to
> get "untested" updates.

The best policy is to stay with 5.7.
Why would anyone want to use 6.x with the issue?
All my boxes are still 5.7.

Newer version doesn't mean better software.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Steve Clark

> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> Hi gang - Love CentOS - you guys to a fabulous job.
>>
>> It has been a while since I saw any update...
>> I went to twitter.com/centos nothing there,
>> twitter.com/centos6 nothing there,
>> went to the qa calendar stuff nothing there.
>>
>> Last I saw was something in September saying all
>> RPM's are built and doing ISO's. Then nothing.
> Oddly enough, my manager just walked in a couple hours ago, and asked me
> why I thought there hadn't been any updates to our 6.0 boxen.
>
> Everything's being rolled into the CR repo, so there do not appear to be
> any "ordinary" 6.0 updates.
>
> mark, annoyed, and having to install 300+ package updates
> to the 6.0 systems, and hope nothing breaks*
>
> * On the other hand, maybe I'll see annoyance fixes, like Pidgen, that
> pops *under* other windows, the quirky screen handling in rxvt, and, oh
> yes, the "yes" buttons lack of attention after I click "logout" from the
> menu.
Is there a package for the cr repo? I don't see anything like that when I do
a yum repolist all.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Patrick Hurrelmann

On 21.10.2011 13:00, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 01:47 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Jerry Geis wrote:
>>> Hi gang - Love CentOS - you guys to a fabulous job.
>>>
>>> It has been a while since I saw any update...
>>> I went to twitter.com/centos nothing there,
>>> twitter.com/centos6 nothing there,
>>> went to the qa calendar stuff nothing there.
>>>
>>> Last I saw was something in September saying all
>>> RPM's are built and doing ISO's. Then nothing.
>> Oddly enough, my manager just walked in a couple hours ago, and asked me
>> why I thought there hadn't been any updates to our 6.0 boxen.
>>
>> Everything's being rolled into the CR repo, so there do not appear to be
>> any "ordinary" 6.0 updates.
>>
>> mark, annoyed, and having to install 300+ package updates
>> to the 6.0 systems, and hope nothing breaks*
>>
>> * On the other hand, maybe I'll see annoyance fixes, like Pidgen, that
>> pops *under* other windows, the quirky screen handling in rxvt, and, oh
>> yes, the "yes" buttons lack of attention after I click "logout" from the
>> menu.
> Is there a package for the cr repo? I don't see anything like that when I do
> a yum repolist all.
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

yes. It is in the extras repo: centos-release-cr

Best Regards
Patrick

Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Antonio da Silva Martins Junior