Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
ken

Default Backup live system

Though I've worked with enterprise systems, I'm not familiar with FOOS
backup software. Which of those recommended would allow me to backup a
system while users are active on it? If it matters the system uses LVM.
I'd also like to be able to avoid needing the network if possible.
That is, I'd plug in a disk into a USB port and backup the system onto
that... again, while the system is live.

Thanks much.

--
War is a failure of the imagination.
--William Blake

Old 10-20-2011, 02:57 PM

ken wrote:
> Though I've worked with enterprise systems, I'm not familiar with FOOS
> backup software. Which of those recommended would allow me to backup a
> system while users are active on it? If it matters the system uses LVM.
> I'd also like to be able to avoid needing the network if possible.
> That is, I'd plug in a disk into a USB port and backup the system onto
> that... again, while the system is live.

There's always rsync - that's what we use.

mark
> --
> War is a failure of the imagination.
> --William Blake

Like that sigfile.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> Though I've worked with enterprise systems, I'm not familiar with FOOS
> backup software. *Which of those recommended would allow me to backup a
> system while users are active on it? *If it matters the system uses LVM.
> * *I'd also like to be able to avoid needing the network if possible.
> That is, I'd plug in a disk into a USB port and backup the system onto
> that... again, while the system is live.

It is rare for linux applications to lock files, so almost all backup
tools will work on an active system, catching the files in whatever
state happens to appear in the filesystem. However, database-type
applications will have their own requirements to preserve consistency
across tables in the snapshot.

Tar/dump/cpio/rsync are all good for copying data. If you want
something that can completely reconstruct your system, look at
http://rear.sourceforge.net/ (also in EPEL) which should meet you need
exactly. But, anytime someone mentions backups, I like to plug
backuppc. It does use the network (and another machine) and it won't
restore a bootable disk, but it generally takes care of itself and
makes sure you always have backup copies with little effort.
(http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ and EPEL).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Benjamin Hackl

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:52:15 -0400
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> If it matters the
> system uses LVM. I'd also like to be able to avoid needing the
> network if possible. That is, I'd plug in a disk into a USB port and
> backup the system onto that... again, while the system is live.

If it should be an exact copy you can also do this via LVM snapshots

e.g. http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm_snapshots

Brgds

--
Freundliche Gruesse/Best Regards
Benjamin Hackl

Media FOCUS Research Ges.m.b.H.
Maculangasse 8, 1220 Wien Austria
Tel: +43 1 258 97 01-295
b.hackl@focusmr.com

Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Brian Mathis

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> Though I've worked with enterprise systems, I'm not familiar with FOOS
> backup software. *Which of those recommended would allow me to backup a
> system while users are active on it? *If it matters the system uses LVM.
> * *I'd also like to be able to avoid needing the network if possible.
> That is, I'd plug in a disk into a USB port and backup the system onto
> that... again, while the system is live.
>
> Thanks much.

Others have said that file are not locked on Linux, so you can back
them up anyway, but this is surely not your point.

The only way to get a consistent backup is to create a snapshot and
back that up. If this is a VM you should be able to make a snapshot
and then back up the VM files. LVM is a good way to do it on both
physical and virtual machines, but there are a few caveats:

- You need free PEs on the volume group. When you make an LVM
snapshot it needs this extra space to store the changed blocks while
the snapshot is in existence. Most default LVM installs do not
reserve spare PEs for this. The amount of free PEs you need is
completely dependent on how many changes get made to the volume while
the snapshot exists. If you run out of PEs, the behavior is
undefined.

- There is a huge performance penalty. As long as any snapshot
exists, there is at least a 50% performance hit. If this is a high
performance database server, you might not be able to afford it. Make
sure to do your backup on slow times.

The howtoforge link seems to cover most of the mechanics.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-