Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Damas Ally

Default Back up system

I have centos 5.7 (server). I need to configure it for backup system, that
means it have to back up or back up documents shall be posted or send to
this server from various users (clients using windows machine and ubuntu).
Can someone help me with instructions on how i can make this possible? And
/or is it possible to set active directory on this machine and if possible
how?
Please help, i am not good enough on centos.
regards,
Damas

--
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door".
Says,

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Damas Ally <damastz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have centos 5.7 (server). I need to configure it for backup system, that
> means it have to back up or back up documents shall be posted or send to
> this server from various users (clients using windows machine and ubuntu).
> Can someone help me with instructions on how i can make this possible? And
> /or is it possible to set active directory on this machine and if possible
> how?
> Please help, i am not good enough on centos.
> regards,
> Damas
>
> --
> "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door".

stock "amanda" srever and client should be your friend. I have not
tried bakuppc thought I have heard good things about it.

HTH

Rajagopal

Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Damas Ally <damastz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have centos 5.7 (server). I need to configure it for backup system, that
> means it have to back up or back up documents shall be posted or send to
> this server from various users (clients using windows machine and ubuntu).
> Can someone help me with instructions on how i can make this possible? And
> /or is it possible to set active directory on this machine and if possible
> how?
> Please help, i am not good enough on centos.

Backuppc is about as good as it gets for online backups. It is
packaged in EPEL but you can find docs and mail list info at
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/. If you want tape backups, look at
amanda or bacula.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Damas Ally <damastz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>If you want tape backups, look at amanda or bacula.
>>

> IMHO, after few production installations, amanda also does disk
> bakckups. and then you can use rdiff,

Backuppc uses compression and pools the storage for all files with
duplicate content so you can keep a much longer history online than
you would expect, and it presents incremental backups as 'filled' from
the backing full so you have a one-step restore from any run.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Damas Ally

Thanks for all the options given, i will work on them and give
feedback, it will be my honour to have online or automated backup
system and active directory as well.
Regards,
Damas.

On 10/19/11, Alain Péan <alain.pean@lpp.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
> Le 19/10/2011 17:43, Les Mikesell a écrit :
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Damas Ally<damastz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have centos 5.7 (server). I need to configure it for backup system,
>>> that
>>> means it have to back up or back up documents shall be posted or send to
>>> this server from various users (clients using windows machine and
>>> ubuntu).
>>> Can someone help me with instructions on how i can make this possible?
>>> And
>>> /or is it possible to set active directory on this machine and if
>>> possible
>>> how?
>>> Please help, i am not good enough on centos.
>> Backuppc is about as good as it gets for online backups. It is
>> packaged in EPEL but you can find docs and mail list info at
>> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/. If you want tape backups, look at
>> amanda or bacula.
>>

> And even if dated, this wiki doc is a good help for configuration under
> CentOS :
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC
>
> And this one helped me a lot to configure user authentication on Active
> Directory :
> http://tastycrepes.blogspot.com/2010/07/active-directory-and-backuppc.html
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Alain
>
> --
> ================================================== ========
> Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
> Administrateur Système/Réseau
> Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
> Observatoire de Saint-Maur
> 4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
> 94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
> Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33

Sent from my mobile device

Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Devin Reade

I'd recommend that you look at bacula. I've used many backup systems
(both commercial and open source) over the years and bacula is by
far the best of them overall, is under active development, robust,
scalable, and has optional commercial support if needed.

For CentOS 5.x, there are not-the-most-recent-version RPMs available
from the bacula site or you can build from source. As of RHEL6/CentOS6,
bacula comes with the base operating system (as usual, also not the most
recent version but quite a bit newer than the 5.x RPMs).

The bacula *server(s)* must run on a UNIX machine. Bacula clients are
available for many different UNIX variants as well as Mac and Windows.

There is a learning curve for setting it up but if you've ever used
any other enterprise-grade backup product it shouldn't be overwhelming.

<http://www.bacula.org>

Devin

Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 16:43 +0300, Damas Ally wrote:
> I have centos 5.7 (server). I need to configure it for backup system, that
> means it have to back up or back up documents shall be posted or send to
> this server from various users (clients using windows machine and ubuntu).
> Can someone help me with instructions on how i can make this possible? And
> /or is it possible to set active directory on this machine and if possible
> how?

Yes, CentOS will integration with AD. Lots of documentation on that is
available.

If you are backing up to disk be sure to take a look at SDFS
<http://www.opendedup.org/> for your backend 'filessystem'. Block level
duplication can be a *HUGE* win.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:

> If you are backing up to disk be sure to take a look at SDFS
> <http://www.opendedup.org/> for your backend 'filessystem'. *Block level
> duplication can be a *HUGE* win.

Backuppc does file-level dedup - and compression that continues to
work with rsync against an uncompressed source.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com