Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Jure Pečar

Default network mapping software

Hi all,

I'm looking for network mapping software that would walk the local subnet and using snmp/cdp/nmap & friends produce a picture of network connections for documentation purposes. I've seen some for wintendo, but haven't found any decent for linux and CentOS specifically.

Something like cheops-ng.sf.net would fill my needs, but before I start a fight with 5+ years old code to get it compiled, I'd like to hear what you guys are using.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org

Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Jure Pečar <pegasus@nerv.eu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for network mapping software that would walk the local subnet and using snmp/cdp/nmap & friends produce a picture of network connections for documentation purposes. I've seen some for wintendo, but haven't found any decent for linux and CentOS specifically.
>
> Something like cheops-ng.sf.net would fill my needs, but before I start a fight with 5+ years old code to get it compiled, I'd like to hear what you guys are using.
>
> --

Zabbix?

Rajagopal

Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Jure Pečar

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:38:44 +0530
Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Jure Pečar <pegasus@nerv.eu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for network mapping software that would walk the local subnet and using snmp/cdp/nmap & friends produce a picture of network connections for documentation purposes. I've seen some for wintendo, but haven't found any decent for linux and CentOS specifically.
> >
> > Something like cheops-ng.sf.net would fill my needs, but before I start a fight with 5+ years old code to get it compiled, I'd like to hear what you guys are using.
> >
> > --
> >

> Zabbix?

Hmm not really. I was thinking more like a desktop app that I bring in into a network, run it and see what's there.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org

Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Jure Pečar <pegasus@nerv.eu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for network mapping software that would walk the local subnet and using snmp/cdp/nmap & friends produce a picture of network connections for documentation purposes. I've seen some for wintendo, but haven't found any decent for linux and CentOS specifically.
>
> Something like cheops-ng.sf.net would fill my needs, but before I start a fight with 5+ years old code to get it compiled, I'd like to hear what you guys are using.

I used something called intermapper long ago when it was Mac-only and
it was very good at visual maps, but it isn't free and I haven't
looked at it since they have released other versions. OpenNMS is
free, java-based and portable, and does discovery and mapping but you
may have to fiddle with the linkd configuration to enable discovery of
subnets and connections. http://www.opennms.org/

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com