Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Les Mikesell

Default Hot upgrade from 5.2 Centos to 5.7 Centos

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Vinay Nagrik <vnagrik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I am installed some application running on top of Centos 5.2 OS and these
> applications are running fine. *However, we are thinking of upgrading our
> 5.2 Centos to 5.7 (hot upgrade). *That is we want to upgrade from 5.2 Centos
> to 5.7 Centos and not disturb the applications.
>
> Is it possible? *Could someone please help.

It is rare for a 'yum update' to disturb already working applications.
It is possible of course, but the point of 'enterprise' distributions
is that a lot of care is taken to not break things (i.e. make changes
that aren't backwards compatible) within a major release version.

Not sure if it is necessary but there were some quirks in the updates
along the way that might make it a good idea to:

yum update glibc* rpm* yum* python*
before doing a full 'yum update'.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Barry Brimer

Hello Group,

I am installed some application running on top of Centos 5.2 OS and these
applications are running fine. *However, we are thinking of upgrading our
5.2 Centos to 5.7 (hot upgrade). *That is we want to upgrade from 5.2 Centos
to 5.7 Centos and not disturb the applications.

Is it possible? *Could someone please help.

It is rare for a 'yum update' to disturb already working applications.
It is possible of course, but the point of 'enterprise' distributions
is that a lot of care is taken to not break things (i.e. make changes
that aren't backwards compatible) within a major release version.

Not sure if it is necessary but there were some quirks in the updates
along the way that might make it a good idea to:

yum update glibc* rpm* yum* python*
before doing a full 'yum update'.

I might suggest a yum clean all before the above command. I've seen a 5.0
yum update to a 5.6 without issue, but there was very little on the
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org