Old 10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default CentOS-6 install on 1 Tb drive fails

I am attempting to load CentOS-6 onto a ST31000524AS 1Tb
SATA drive in a Supermicro 5015A-EHF-D525 system. The
BIOS sees the drive and the CentOS install process sees
and initializes it as well.

However, even when I accept the default partitioning, I
get an error during the drive formatting prior to
installing the OS. The error message is: "Could not
commit to disk /dev/sda". I get this error whether the
drive is configured as IDE or AHCI in BIOS.

The advanced BIOS configuration section makes reference to
LBA addressing and a maximum value of 137 Gb. However, I
had previously equipped this very system with a 500 GB
SATA drive and had not experienced any problems.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be happening here?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I am attempting to load CentOS-6 onto a ST31000524AS 1Tb
> SATA drive in a Supermicro 5015A-EHF-D525 system. The
> BIOS sees the drive and the CentOS install process sees
> and initializes it as well.
>
> However, even when I accept the default partitioning, I
> get an error during the drive formatting prior to
> installing the OS. The error message is: "Could not
> commit to disk /dev/sda". I get this error whether the
> drive is configured as IDE or AHCI in BIOS.
<snip>
> Does anyone have any idea as to what might be happening here?

Have you tried putting the drive in another system and see if it's
recognized correctly? Also, if you put the old drive back, does it work?

What I'm looking for is whether you have a hardware problem, either m/b or
drive... or controller card.

mark

Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Mon Oct 17 14:12:26 EDT 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us
m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Have you tried putting the drive in another system
> and see if it's recognized correctly?

I have and the drive in question is formatted and CentOS-6
is successfully installed using the same media if I employ
a different system to do the work.

> Also, if you put the old drive back, does it work?

Yes, I can boot the Supermicro system from a previously
formatted 500Gb disc that already has CentOS-6 installed
on it. Further, if I install the 1Tb disk, now formatted
and with CentOS installed courtesy of the other host, then
the Supermicro system also boots from it.

> What I'm looking for is whether you have a hardware
> problem, either m/b or drive... or controller card.

It does not appear to me to be hardware related, at least
not directly. I suspect a bug in Anaconda. There are
reports of a similar issue in Fedora last year and the bug
was supposed to have been fixed in June of 2010, if indeed
my problem is the same thing or something related.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM

James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Mon, October 17, 2011 14:01, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> I am attempting to load CentOS-6 onto a ST31000524AS 1Tb
>> SATA drive in a Supermicro 5015A-EHF-D525 system. The
>> BIOS sees the drive and the CentOS install process sees
>> and initializes it as well.
>>
>> However, even when I accept the default partitioning, I
>> get an error during the drive formatting prior to
>> installing the OS. The error message is: "Could not
>> commit to disk /dev/sda". I get this error whether the
>> drive is configured as IDE or AHCI in BIOS.
>
> On Mon Oct 17 14:12:26 EDT 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Have you tried putting the drive in another system
>> and see if it's recognized correctly?
<yep, he says>

>> Also, if you put the old drive back, does it work?
>
> Yes, I can boot the Supermicro system from a previously
<snip>
>> What I'm looking for is whether you have a hardware
>> problem, either m/b or drive... or controller card.
>
> It does not appear to me to be hardware related, at least
> not directly. I suspect a bug in Anaconda. There are
> reports of a similar issue in Fedora last year and the bug
> was supposed to have been fixed in June of 2010, if indeed
> my problem is the same thing or something related.

Huh. Dunno - I've done installs on 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB and 3TB drives with no
problem.

mark