Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM
"William L. Maltby"

Default CentOS 6.0 i386 DVD

Anybody have tricks to write the i386 ISO image to DVD?

I've tried DVD+-RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R in both Windows 7 (two
different writers) and rebooted into CentOS 6 (x86_64) and tried
cdrecord (now called wodim). On wodim I've tried overburn, reducing
speeds, etc.

All give the same results: the same number of bytes are written -
indicating the disc is full (according to my calculations) and wodim
exits thinking it had a buffer underflow problem.

I had no problem creating the x86_64 install DVD, which is smaller, and
installing it next to my Windows. I just plug in a usb thumb drive and
hit <ESC> when I want to run CentOS there and it works fine.

The inability to create the i386 DVD initially prevented me from trying
to install a desktop system on an old Acer running 4.8 (hasn't been
booted in ... nearing a year?).

I got around that by deciding to put the iso image on an external usb
drive, exporting it via nfs and doing a network install. It had been so
long since I dinked with any of this stuff it took me a couple of days
of googling around, reading man pages, ... to get that working. Mostly
having to do with iptables ports not being open. Sheesh! Black Hats
create a lot of grief with their shenanigans!

Anyway, then it panics when it starts writing the hard drives - I'll
post another mail on that.

Anyway, my life would've (will be) a bit simpler if someone can clue me
in to how to get that image onto a DVD using either CentOS 6 or Windows.

Checksums pass.

Any hints gratefully accepted.

TIA,
Bill

Old 10-17-2011, 09:48 AM
John Doe

From: William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>

> Anyway, my life would've (will be) a bit simpler if someone can clue me
> in to how to get that image onto a DVD using either CentOS 6 or Windows.

As stated in the release notes, you need a DVD-R.
In my case, k3b failed to write it but regular gnome "CD/DVD Creator" worked...

JD

Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 02:48 -0700, John Doe wrote:
> From: William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>
>
> > Anyway, my life would've (will be) a bit simpler if someone can clue me
> > in to how to get that image onto a DVD using either CentOS 6 or Windows.
>
> As stated in the release notes, you need a DVD-R.
> In my case, k3b failed to write it but regular gnome "CD/DVD Creator" worked...

The DVD-R was the first one I tried, because of the notes. But I never
tried the gnome creator. In fact, being old-school, command line is
always my preference and I didn't try any GUI ones except on windows -
where I claim (too proudly) complete ignorance. I'm a TDU (Typical Dumb
User) there.

Thanks - I'll give that a try and report back. And I'm not sure I tried
the DVD-R with wodim either - by the time I got there I was on to trying
the other formats and (I'm pretty sure) forgot to rotate back to that.

Frustration does funny things to logic.

> JD
> <snip sig stuff>

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 06:47 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 02:48 -0700, John Doe wrote:
> > From: William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>
> >
> > > Anyway, my life would've (will be) a bit simpler if someone can clue me
> > > in to how to get that image onto a DVD using either CentOS 6 or Windows.
> >
> > As stated in the release notes, you need a DVD-R.
> > In my case, k3b failed to write it but regular gnome "CD/DVD Creator" worked...
>
> The DVD-R was the first one I tried, because of the notes. But I never
> tried the gnome creator. In fact, being old-school, command line is
> always my preference and I didn't try any GUI ones except on windows -
> where I claim (too proudly) complete ignorance. I'm a TDU (Typical Dumb
> User) there.
>
> Thanks - I'll give that a try and report back. And I'm not sure I tried
> the DVD-R with wodim either - by the time I got there I was on to trying
> the other formats and (I'm pretty sure) forgot to rotate back to that.

Worked like a champ on Windows using Power2Go! I wonder what I did wrong
first time around! When I reboot that box to CentOS, I'll try wodim
again - I bet it works and I never tried the DVD-R in there.

Thanks for taking the time!

> Frustration does funny things to logic.
>

> > JD
> > <snip sig stuff>

Bill

Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Cliff Pratt

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com> wrote:

> Frustration does funny things to logic.

Ha! Nice one.

Cheers,