Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 AM
"TE Dukes"

Default What's up with the mailing list?

Are we running CentOS or what?

That new kernel in cr repository won't boot!! I get kernel panic. This is
getting out of hand. Know you are smarter than me when it come to this
stuff, but please..........

Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Digimer

On 10/15/2011 08:58 PM, TE Dukes wrote:
> Are we running CentOS or what?
>
> That new kernel in cr repository won't boot!! I get kernel panic. This is
> getting out of hand. Know you are smarter than me when it come to this
> stuff, but please..........

I have no trouble booting it.

If you've run into a problem, the most effective thing to do is file a
bug. If you can do some digging into the cause, discussing your finding
here (and attaching relevant bits to the bug) will also help.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 10-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Jim Wildman

Particularly important to file bugs against CR releases since
CR users are functioning as pseudo QA people..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Patrick Lists

On 10/16/2011 10:39 AM, Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez wrote:
> I had no trouble with panics booting new CR kernel either, but detecting
> my PCI-e parallel port
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/centos/msg119673.html. The worst is nobody
> has given even any clue related to it.

I have not seen a parallel port in years or a device needing a parallel
port. I did not even know a PCI-e parallel card existed. Perhaps people
just don't know what the problem is or can be bothered with technology
from the eighties.

If you need it for a printer then why not get a usb<->parallel cable:
http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-parallel-printer-port-adapter-cable-15m/42882.html

Maybe this is the difference
> between RHEL and CentOS. If I was a RHEL licensed user, RedHat support
> staff at least would answer saying anything.

If everybody who does *not* know the answer to a question would answer
"saying anything" as you suggested then this mailing list would generate
a gazillion messages per day and become completely useless because of
the gazillion "I don't know" answers.

If that parallel card is so important to you then why don't you buy a
Red Hat subscription? At the end of the day you get what you pay for...

Regards,
Patrick

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Patrick Lists

On 10/16/2011 03:57 PM, Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez wrote:
[snip]
>> If you need it for a printer then why not get a usb<->parallel cable:
>> http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-parallel-printer-port-adapter-cable-15m/42882.html
>>
>> Maybe this is the difference
> Following your link I only see "Compatible with Windows
> ME/2000/XP/Vista/7" Are you sure it will work with CentOS 6? I don't use
> it for print anything, but just to switch on my own home alarm as I
> wrote here:
> http://www.securitybydefault.com/2011/04/trasteando-con-una-alarma-de-securitas.html
> Sorry, it is in spanish, that's my language Give it a try with some
> online translation service.

Nope I don't know if it will work with CentOS 6. I looked at your page.
I don't speak Spanish but got the idea. Pretty neat.

[snip]
> If you don't expect anything from somebody, and you receive anything,...
> it would be very pleasant. Since I belong to this list, the only topic
> with 0 answers was my question. Is it so difficult?

Well now at least you got 2

Have you tried getting the latest Fedora 15 live cd (or maybe even the
latest Fedora 16 beta/TC live cd) and boot that on your server and see
if your card is recognized? That should give you some more info. Then
file a bug at the CentOS website or maybe directly on the Red Hat
bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com

If your card is not recognized in the latest CentOS CR kernel and in F15
(or F16) then you could file the bug twice (under RHEL6 and F15/F16).
Hopefully that should get the kernel devs attention.

If you can find such a usb<->parallel cable at a local computer store
perhaps you could try it and return it if it does not work?

Regards,
Patrick

Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/16/11 6:57 AM, Lorenzo Martínez Rodríguez wrote:
> Following your link I only see "Compatible with Windows
> ME/2000/XP/Vista/7" Are you sure it will work with CentOS 6? I don't use
> it for print anything, but just to switch on my own home alarm as I
> wrote here:
> http://www.securitybydefault.com/2011/04/trasteando-con-una-alarma-de-securitas.html
> Sorry, it is in spanish, that's my language Give it a try with some
> online translation service.

that style of programming, poking bits at a physical IO device at an
assumed port address will not work on anything but a legacy mainboard
LPT1 port. any PCI or PCI-E port will be at a dynamic address which
you'd have to find via the plug and play device registry, or groping
your way through the output of lspci, which it appears you've been
doing.. a USB port requires a complex sequence of commands to be sent to
the USB controller to send data to the port.

my guess is, the newer kernels have dropped support entirely for
ieee1284 devices.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast