Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 AM
whitivery

Default CentOS 5.7 Ethernet bonding - order of enslavement matters?

whitivery <co55-sy1t@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

>Setting up bonding in active-backup mode 1 (using ARP monitoring)
>on a server, it looked OK, but pulling the active link cable
>didn't actually work, it didn't fail over.
>
>Eventually with manual playing around with modprobe, ifconfig,
>ifenslave, etc., a solution was stumbled upon: enslave the eth1
>device before eth0, and all is good.
>
>Why this should matter is a puzzle - I could not find anything in
>bonding.txt or on the web about it.
>
>I had to change ifup-eth to fix the problem.
>
>Any ideas on why the enslavement order matters, or a better
>solution to work around it?
>
>The rest of this post is details.
>

>To fix this, I had to patch
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth to reverse the order when
>it is updating the sysfs slaves list. A 1-line change, from:
>
>for device in $(LANG=C egrep -l "^[[:space:]]*MASTER="?${DEVICE}"?"
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*) ; do
>
>to:
>
>for device in $(LANG=C egrep -l "^[[:space:]]*MASTER="?${DEVICE}"?"
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* | sort -r) ; do
>

>With that change, everything works perfectly.
>
>I don't like this solution (changing standard system files) but
>it seems like the best one for now, and should not break
>anything.
>

>Maybe it's the particular network devices. Platform is VIA M850
>running CentOS5.7 64-bit, original content from DVD (no yum
>update done).
>
>Eth0 is the onboard device, using an updated VIA Velocity driver
>(velocityget 1.42 instead of default via-velocity):
>
>05:00.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6120/VT6121/VT6122
>Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 82)
>
>Eth1 is a Linksys (Cisco) USB300M USB-Ethernet dongle, using asix
>driver:
>
>Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772
>
>Modprobe.conf:
>
>alias eth0 velocityget
>
>With the network service enabled (NetworkManager disabled), this
>is my setup:
>
>ifcfg-bond0:
>
>DEVICE=bond0
>BOOTPROTO=none
>ONBOOT=yes
>IPADDR=10.6.0.90
>NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>GATEWAY=10.6.0.1
>BONDING_OPTS="mode=active-backup arp_interval=300 primary=eth0
>arp_ip_target=+10.6.0.1 arp_ip_target=+10.6.0.2"

> [...]

Is there a better group to post this to?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 10/13/11, whitivery <co55-sy1t@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>>Eth0 is the onboard device, using an updated VIA Velocity driver
>>(velocityget 1.42 instead of default via-velocity):
>>
>>05:00.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6120/VT6121/VT6122
>>Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 82)
>>
>>Eth1 is a Linksys (Cisco) USB300M USB-Ethernet dongle, using asix
>>driver:

Have you tried adding another Ethernet adapter? This is because I was
reading the bonding doc and towards the end there was this part

>As discussed in the options section, above, some drivers do
>not support the netif_carrier_on/_off link state tracking system.
>With use_carrier enabled, bonding will always see these links as up,
>regardless of their actual state.

So it might a driver issue, i.e. the VIA driver is not reporting the
link down correctly.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
whitivery

Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 10/13/11, whitivery <co55-sy1t@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
>>>Eth0 is the onboard device, using an updated VIA Velocity driver
>>>(velocityget 1.42 instead of default via-velocity):
>>>
>>>05:00.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6120/VT6121/VT6122
>>>Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 82)
>>>
>>>Eth1 is a Linksys (Cisco) USB300M USB-Ethernet dongle, using asix
>>>driver:
>
>Have you tried adding another Ethernet adapter? This is because I was
>reading the bonding doc and towards the end there was this part
>
>>As discussed in the options section, above, some drivers do
>>not support the netif_carrier_on/_off link state tracking system.
>>With use_carrier enabled, bonding will always see these links as up,
>>regardless of their actual state.
>
>So it might a driver issue, i.e. the VIA driver is not reporting the
>link down correctly.

Thank you for the reply, but I don't think that this is the issue.
Otherwise bonding failover wouldn't work at all. When enslaved in order
eth1 eth0, bonding and link detection work properly - with eth0 set as
primary, I pull the eth0 cable, it switches to eth1; plug eth0 back in, it
switches back to it; pull the eth1 cable, it knows there's no fallback.
So the link detection seems fine.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 10/19/11, whitivery <co55-sy1t@dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, but I don't think that this is the issue.
> Otherwise bonding failover wouldn't work at all. When enslaved in order
> eth1 eth0, bonding and link detection work properly - with eth0 set as
> primary, I pull the eth0 cable, it switches to eth1; plug eth0 back in, it
> switches back to it; pull the eth1 cable, it knows there's no fallback.
> So the link detection seems fine.

Ok, that does eliminate eth0 link detection as the source of the
problem. I think you might have to ask on another mailing list. It
seems like it should be the kernel list but not 100% certain.