Old 10-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Bob Hoffman

Default Virtual host package, command line, I need help

I am at wits end with this KVM. It is hard to get the information needed
to do this properly with centos 6 and KVM since it is so new and the
googling of 'KVM' brings up everything except kernel based virtual machines.

What I have done...
1) my cpus have virtualization
2) centos 6, selected 'virtual host' package
3) it goes to command line
4) I have made virtual guests with virt-install, in LVM folders, not images
5) 'cannot display' is all I get from command line

The packages installed seem to have many gnome and vnc rpms. (and
x-windows stuff too)
Virt-manager was installed but only produces errors when run from
command line

I am unable to get anything past getting the guest running since I
cannot open any kind of display.

I have been able to easily do this in a gnome desktop, but figure
command line is going to be less overhead for the server.

I have added --vnc and tried some other things, but for the life of me I
cannot figure out how to get a graphic or text install to come up on the
local machine to save my life.

With all the gnome packages (and there are quite a few) that were
installed with the 'virtual host' package I figured something would come
up, but all attempts have failed miserably. I am stuck in command line
with no way out.

I do plan on putting up a step by step video when I finally get one
working, but after a few days of this (and seeing hundreds of websites
with others having the same issue) I am wondering if anyone has ever got
it working and what they did?

This is just a pure install of centos 6, 'virtual host' package, command
line, yum updated, able to make guests, no video options working for me.

what is the magic command to bring up some of that gnome stuff for
virt-manager or to just see the install window for a guest??

any help appreciated and most welcomed.

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Arek Czereszewski

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/index.html
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-rhel-linux-kvm-virtulization-tutorial/

--
UNIX allows me to work smarter, not harder.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Bob Hoffman

arek wrote
=================

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/index.html
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-rhel-linux-kvm-virtulization-tutorial/

========================

thanks arek, but I have been through that a million times, backwards and forwards. I do not have
any issues making the storage, the files, the guests...

I cannot, in the command line, bring up a video or text install for the guest installation though.
It is almost like the user (I am root) is not allowed access to the video device.
I have installed x windows group and no go for any video, bounces out with errors.

If I go full desktop, I can easily install a guest with a video interface.

The virt host packages default install should be enough for me to do it...yet I get bounced
out of any video attemtpt, even text install, with 'cannot open display' and things like that.

There is obviously something I am missing. Perhaps this is only meant to be used remotely via ssh-x tunnel
and not a local install.

The errors I get are all over the net, many listed in bugzilla but shown not to be bugs, yet no answers.

There has to be a way to get a video or text install locally from the default virt host package without
installing x windows system, gnome, or kde....although many little bits of those packages were installed.

it really feels like my user is not allowed to go into a graphic view of anything relating to guests.
at least not locally (the only way I would rather do it, do not know how to x-tunnel and all that)

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Bob Hoffman

tomorrows a new day...will try to get into the config files for a quest
and see what I can do
sdl kept choking....I am sure it is just a configuration error.
however, most stuff is for rhel/centos 5.x and the newer packages are
much mature and changed from the examples.

there are numerous errors in the dmesg like 'composite sync' and stuff
relating to a grub bug, but I do not think that is it.

When I get it done, will post a vid and add to my forums for others to
be able to just walk through it...if I ever get it
figured out.

I just hate to think about being forced to go with gnome for my
server...yuck.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Bob Hoffman

One of the mods requested some data, here ya go..think it is a video
issue...

I think I am narrowing it down to choking on my ATI ES1000
controller..which might be causing some issues.

When I did a full desktop, everything worked okay though, but command
line only or with x windows system video is a complete no go.
although I can pull up text things like system-config-network, x will
choke on config/hal: couldn't initialize context: (null) and pop right
out. Display cannot open.

Its make sense because now and then my ipmi card just gets a blurry
video image and I have to reset the card.
Also, it just shuts off (loses connection/video) sometimes and I must
login again. Thought it was the card...but...
it only happens when I am installing linux or it is installed. If
playing in bios it has never happened.

Tried the nomodeset thing, no change.
SELinux: Starting in permissive mode

dmesg of insterest, command line, install with package 'virtual host'

ACPI Warning for \_SB_._OSC: Return type mismatch - found Integer,
expected Buffer (20090903/nspredef-1006)
\_SB_:_OSC evaluation returned wrong type
_OSC request data:1 7
ACPI Warning: Incorrect checksum in table [OEMB] - 96, should be 8B
(20090903/tbutils-314)

Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control (this was between pci
hotplug stuff)
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control
Firmware did not grant requested _OSC control

composite sync not supported (with gnome installed there was a ton of these)
composite sync not supported
fbcon: radeondrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[drm:radeon_i2c_sw_put_byte] *ERROR* i2c 0x08 0x30 write failed

[drm:radeon_i2c_sw_put_byte] *ERROR* i2c 0x09 0x00 write failed
[drm:radeon_i2c_sw_put_byte] *ERROR* i2c 0x0a 0x90 write failed
[drm:radeon_i2c_sw_put_byte] *ERROR* i2c 0x0c 0x89 write failed
[drm:radeon_i2c_sw_put_byte] *ERROR* i2c 0x08 0x3b write failed
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer device
drm: registered panic notifier

[drm] Initialized radeon 2.1.0 20080528 for 0000:01:01.0 on minor 0

composite sync not supported ( a couple more of these just appeared a
few lines lower than the previous line)
composite sync not supported

-----------------------------------
below is a whole section that seems to have dealt with the video card,
and all seems okay for this (earlier in the boot up than errors above)
-----------------------------------
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] radeon defaulting to kernel modesetting.
[drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
radeon 0000:01:01.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
[drm] initializing kernel modesetting (RV100 0x1002:0x515E).
[drm] register mmio base: 0xFBAD0000
[drm] register mmio size: 65536
radeon 0000:01:01.0: VRAM: 64M 0xD8000000 - 0xDBFFFFFF (32M used)
radeon 0000:01:01.0: GTT: 512M 0xB8000000 - 0xD7FFFFFF
[drm] radeon: irq initialized.
[drm] Detected VRAM RAM=64M, BAR=128M
[drm] RAM width 16bits DDR
[TTM] Zone kernel: Available graphics memory: 12299360 kiB.
[TTM] Zone dma32: Available graphics memory: 2097152 kiB.
[drm] radeon: 32M of VRAM memory ready
[drm] radeon: 512M of GTT memory ready.
[drm] GART: num cpu pages 131072, num gpu pages 131072
[drm] Loading R100 Microcode
platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/R100_cp.bin
[drm] radeon: ring at 0x00000000B8000000
[drm] ring test succeeded in 1 usecs
[drm] radeon: ib pool ready.
[drm] ib test succeeded in 0 usecs
[drm] No TV DAC info found in BIOS
[drm] No valid Ext TMDS info found in BIOS
[drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[drm] Connector 0:
[drm] VGA
[drm] DDC: 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] CRT1: INTERNAL_DAC1
[drm] Connector 1:
[drm] DVI-I
[drm] HPD2
[drm] DDC: 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c
[drm] Encoders:
[drm] CRT2: INTERNAL_DAC2
[drm] DFP2: INTERNAL_DVO1

Old 10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Christopher Hawker

Sorry if I seem a bit dumb in this question, but are these virtual
servers going to be used in a production environment or are they test
servers? Also, in my experience, using a GUI on a server is not really
necessary, as everything can be done from the command line. Yes it may
be easier to do it with a GUI, but if you know what you are doing and
what to do it professionally, stick to using the command line and
give the idea of using a desktop the flick.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

On 10/13/11, Bob Hoffman <bob@bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> [...]
> [drm] radeon: 32M of VRAM memory ready
> [drm] radeon: 512M of GTT memory ready.
> [drm] GART: num cpu pages 131072, num gpu pages 131072
> [drm] Loading R100 Microcode
> platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/R100_cp.bin
> [drm] radeon: ring at 0x00000000B8000000
> [drm] ring test succeeded in 1 usecs
> [drm] radeon: ib pool ready.
> [drm] ib test succeeded in 0 usecs
> [drm] No TV DAC info found in BIOS
> [drm] No valid Ext TMDS info found in BIOS
> [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
> [drm] Connector 0:
> [drm] VGA
> [drm] DDC: 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60 0x60
> [drm] Encoders:
> [drm] CRT1: INTERNAL_DAC1
> [drm] Connector 1:
> [drm] DVI-I
> [drm] HPD2
> [drm] DDC: 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c 0x6c

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me on +61 478 241
896.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Bob Hoffman

chris hawker wrote
==========================

Sorry if I seem a bit dumb in this question, but are these virtual
servers going to be used in a production environment or are they test
servers? Also, in my experience, using a GUI on a server is not really
necessary, as everything can be done from the command line. Yes it may
be easier to do it with a GUI, but if you know what you are doing and
what to do it professionally, stick to using the command line and
give the idea of using a desktop the flick.

===========================

I do not want to use the desktop. I am in command line. It will not work. You cannot
install a guest (production server, not test) without some kind of installation walk through.
a text install, a vnc, sdl, whatever...it should be able to open a window to do so.

the only way I could get it to work was a full install of gnome and that is not workable.
so little online with KVM and centos6, most are xen.

For some reason the virt-viewer and anything else cannot access my video for some reason.
From looking online, this is a common issue among command line virt-installs..but no one
ever posts a final solution..lol

So far, after a few weeks of this, I have been unable to install, via command line, one guest.
I cannot get any kind of installer to come up in any kind of window/gui/etc.

very frustrating. Just sitting here with my useless brick of a computer unable to deploy it.
Gonna call supermicro today and ask about the es1000.
Also will try to install xorg to get to the xorg.conf and see if that can help, however most
errors are deeper in the boot than xorg.
Gonna try playing with the devices in grub I guess too.
Was thinking of getting a second card and trying to see if that would work.

bugzilla had tons of people complaining about issues like this one...it is probably the es1000
choking the system....can't think of anything else that would cause displays that try to start to
just die.

However, in full gnome, it works flawlessly...so that theory is a little off... Card must be working.
Must be a setting in the basic 'virtual host' package that needs fine tuning.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Christopher Hawker

A simple google search returned this: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM I
don't know if it is helpful or not.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Bob Hoffman wrote:
<snip>
> very frustrating. Just sitting here with my useless brick of a computer
> unable to deploy it.
> Gonna call supermicro today and ask about the es1000.
> Also will try to install xorg to get to the xorg.conf and see if that can
> help, however most errors are deeper in the boot than xorg.

Stil more pain, esp. since they decided to drop system-config-display,
which would always get you at least a minimal working video.

May I strongly recommend yesterday's XKCD <http://xkcd.com/963/>? Talk
about timely....
<snip>
mark

Old 10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Bob Hoffman

=============

Bob Hoffman wrote:
<snip>
>/ very frustrating. Just sitting here with my useless brick of a computer
/>/ unable to deploy it.
/>/ Gonna call supermicro today and ask about the es1000.
/>/ Also will try to install xorg to get to the xorg.conf and see if that can
/>/ help, however most errors are deeper in the boot than xorg.
/mark wrote
Stil more pain, esp. since they decided to drop system-config-display,
which would always get you at least a minimal working video.

May I strongly recommend yesterday's XKCD<http://xkcd.com/963/>? Talk
about timely....
<snip>

===========

I am down to just a call to supermicro, which will probably be a waste.
After that I think buying a cheap 'more compatible' vga card for the box
might solve the problems.
My last way out is to bite the bullet and install xorg/gnome/etc and
hope it does not crash the guests.

Obviously centos 6 is pretty new, KVM is fairly new in a way (everyone
does zen), its linux (<argh>),
and KVM googles don't work so well with KVM switches out there..lol

Not sure of the path here, I know continually reinstalling, repackaging,
playing with grub, etc...cannot be
the way intended for a brand new install just to install a guest via
command line.
I am thinking new video card.

First time sorely disappointed with supermicro...very disappointed
unless they have a fix.