-   -   Scp and SFTP speed much difference??? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/586782-scp-sftp-speed-much-difference.html)

mcclnx mcc 10-12-2011 04:07 PM

Scp and SFTP speed much difference???

we have CENTOS 5.X on server A and Server B. Both servers have Gigabit network card connect to same switch.

I test network speed from Server A to Server B and found speed much difference:

SFTP: 42 MB/Sec

SCP: 20 MB/sec

SCP command: scp -Crp -o CompressionLevel=1 user1@ServerB:/TMP/File1 .

Anyone know how to improve SCP speed?

John R Pierce 10-12-2011 04:13 PM

On 10/12/11 9:07 AM, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> we have CENTOS 5.X on server A and Server B. Both servers have Gigabit network card connect to same switch.
>
> I test network speed from Server A to Server B and found speed much difference:
>
> SFTP: 42 MB/Sec
>
> SCP: 20 MB/sec
>
> SCP command: scp -Crp -o CompressionLevel=1 user1@ServerB:/TMP/File1 .
>
> Anyone know how to improve SCP speed?

don't specify compression on gigE, it will just slow you down.

scp/sftp should be virtually the same speed, all else being equal

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast