Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Default Emergency help needed on host network randomly stop working.

Hi,
This is a Centos 5.5 host with one xen guest.
About 2 weeks ago, the host randomly lost network connection. By
this I mean I could not connect to the services on it, or ping it.
Also was the status of the guest.
From serial console, I connected to the host, trying to see what
happened. No clue (any error messages) in messages or dmesg.
ifdown/ifup the interface did not help, either. Only rebooting was my
only choice.
Searching through Google, I got the information that some other guys
met similar problem, and resolved by setting stp on with the bridge
interface.
I set it, too. And the problem still occurs.
Any idea what I should check now?
Thanks.
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Robert Spangler

On Wednesday 12 October 2011 03:43, the following was written:

> Hi,
> This is a Centos 5.5 host with one xen guest.
> About 2 weeks ago, the host randomly lost network connection. By
> this I mean I could not connect to the services on it, or ping it.
> Also was the status of the guest.
> From serial console, I connected to the host, trying to see what
> happened. No clue (any error messages) in messages or dmesg.
> ifdown/ifup the interface did not help, either. Only rebooting was my
> only choice.
> Searching through Google, I got the information that some other guys
> met similar problem, and resolved by setting stp on with the bridge
> interface.
> I set it, too. And the problem still occurs.
> Any idea what I should check now?

I am no expert but it sounds like you might be in the early stages of hardware
failure.

Next time this system stop responding check the following:

1. System interface state
2. Connected switch interface

If the switch shows down but the system shows up I wold start by replacing the
NIC on the system.

--

Regards
Robert