Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Mark Pryor

Default c6 xen guest install, golf, and geany

List,

Is it possible to do a text install (<512RAM) of C6 server, with support for X11 forwarding over ssh, and get geany (editor) to work over ssh?

I got X11 forwarding to work when I have a full Xfce desktop, but not with a server setup.

I would like to golf this... IOW find the minimum number of packages.

Any hints or kickstart configs for the needy?

--

Mark

Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 AM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Mark Pryor wrote:

> List,
>
> Is it possible to do a text install (<512RAM) of C6 server, with support for
> X11 forwarding over ssh, and get geany (editor) to work over ssh?

Yes.

> I got X11 forwarding to work when I have a full Xfce desktop, but not with a
> server setup.
>
> I would like to golf this... IOW find the minimum number of packages.
>
> Any hints or kickstart configs for the needy?

There's really not much you need to install. Minimal install + xauth + gedit
and I'd have thought you were there. xauth is the important bit that you can
accidentally miss off. You just need to check for ssh X forwarding working.
ssh -Y to your server and "echo $DISPLAY". If it's not defined, you've got a
problem.

jh