-   -   Centos 6.0 , DRBD (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/586091-centos-6-0-drbd.html)

Marko Weber 10-11-2011 09:27 AM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Hello List,

i am new to Centos and did my first install on a server.
I got it working that also looks inzo the epel repositorie.

Now i want to install DRBD. But yum search drbd returns me only a
package i dont need.

Do i have to enable the epel-test repo to get it
But test sounds not stable for me and we switched to centos for
stability.

anyone here can help me or give me any hints on drbd on centos 6?

Do i have to compile by hand?

marko

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-11-2011 10:22 AM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

>Do i have to compile by hand?

Yeah, but generate rpm's for final installation, its trivial.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-build-rpm.html

Marko Weber 10-11-2011 10:27 AM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Thanks Joseph,

my thought ideas behind was, i like to maintenance systems via package
manager.
Each thing you install by hand brake this.
But it sounds okay for me.

Thank you.

marko (from rainy Hamburg)

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-11-2011 05:47 PM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

>Each thing you install by hand brake this.

Did you actually read my post and the link?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 10-11-2011 08:02 PM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Vreme: 10/11/2011 07:47 PM, Joseph L. Casale piše:
>> Each thing you install by hand brake this.
>
> Did you actually read my post and the link?

I think he did, but he would like an package done by someone who knows
what he is doing. Bear in mind that RHEL kernel is not stock kernel,
there are number of back-ported patches in it. It is safer to use a
package with applied RHEL specific patches (if necessary) done by people
working with RHEL kernel regularly. I for one would never try to build
kernel module my self. I would at least ask for experts opinion on my
spec/package work.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-11-2011 10:09 PM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

>I think he did, but he would like an package done by someone who knows
>what he is doing. Bear in mind that RHEL kernel is not stock kernel,
>there are number of back-ported patches in it. It is safer to use a
>package with applied RHEL specific patches (if necessary) done by people
>working with RHEL kernel regularly. I for one would never try to build
>kernel module my self. I would at least ask for experts opinion on my
>spec/package work.

Wow, you didn't read it either...
You build it against _your_ kernel. Its like two commands...

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 10-11-2011 11:23 PM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Vreme: 10/12/2011 12:09 AM, Joseph L. Casale piše:
>> I think he did, but he would like an package done by someone who knows
>> what he is doing. Bear in mind that RHEL kernel is not stock kernel,
>> there are number of back-ported patches in it. It is safer to use a
>> package with applied RHEL specific patches (if necessary) done by people
>> working with RHEL kernel regularly. I for one would never try to build
>> kernel module my self. I would at least ask for experts opinion on my
>> spec/package work.
>
> Wow, you didn't read it either...
> You build it against _your_ kernel. Its like two commands...

I do not have to read it (although I understood you the first time). My
production server is not going to be a ginipig for developers. And I, so
far, rebuilt over 100 packages including newer Qt for C6.

There is a repo (ELRepo) run by knowledgeable kernel
developers/packagers, with 10 times more knowledge about kernels then
me. And their package was build from most stable version, taking RHEL
kernel oddities into account, and already tested. Why would I (or anyone
else) "invent hot water"??

Getting out from the slippery bath tub is one "command" to my brain, but
I managed to almost cut my palm in two when porcelain sink I was leaning
onto (I almost never did that before, and never again) broke to peaces.
If I had passed out (and I almost did), I would not be here now. Crude
analogy, but very real for me, my thumb lost normal sensitivity for
ever, as a reminder.

So for me, there is no more easy getting out of the tub, and no easy
kernel module builds for production use. Not to mention the need to
follow module development for patches and rebuilding newer versions, etc...

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-12-2011 01:02 AM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

>I do not have to read it (although I understood you the first time). My production server
>is not going to be a ginipig for developers.

So if I understand you correctly:

If you build and rpm from the current stable release of a package provided to you by the people
whom know this package best (its makers), utilizing their automated method that they would need
to know for certain works, then install this rpm in a packaged managed system, your system
becomes a ginipig for these devels?

Now if someone else takes this same source and builds it, and you install it, you're better off?

Uhm, whatever floats your boat:)

Karanbir Singh 10-12-2011 05:10 AM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Hi,

On 10/11/2011 06:23 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> I do not have to read it (although I understood you the first time). My

its strange then you feel compelled to comment on something without
making an effort to even see what the other person is talking about.

> production server is not going to be a ginipig for developers. And I, so
> far, rebuilt over 100 packages including newer Qt for C6.

people with the idea of a 'production' setup usually also understand the
idea of 'devel' and 'testing'. People who dont have an idea of
'production' dont need to care about or are already isolated from
needing to care about 'devel' and 'testing', isnt it ?

Just saying.

- KB

Marko Weber 10-12-2011 07:59 AM

Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Hello Joesph,

i am a gentoo child.
So, do i have to download latest drbd source package,
then untar , and do this =

{ If you are about to build RPMs for both the DRBD userspace utilities
and the kernel module, use: }

$ ./configure --enable-spec --with-km
$ make tgz
$ cp drbd*.tar.gz `rpm -E _sourcedir`
$ rpmbuild -bb drbd.spec
$ rpmbuild -bb drbd-kernel.spec

This would be right way for me?

And waht do i have to do on updates=? Same Procedure?