Old 10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Default Centos 6.0 , DRBD

Vreme: 10/12/2011 07:10 AM, Karanbir Singh piše:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/11/2011 06:23 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> I do not have to read it (although I understood you the first time). My
>
> its strange then you feel compelled to comment on something without
> making an effort to even see what the other person is talking about.
>
>> production server is not going to be a ginipig for developers. And I, so
>> far, rebuilt over 100 packages including newer Qt for C6.
>
> people with the idea of a 'production' setup usually also understand the
> idea of 'devel' and 'testing'. People who dont have an idea of
> 'production' dont need to care about or are already isolated from
> needing to care about 'devel' and 'testing', isnt it ?
>
> Just saying.
>
> - KB

Joseph's post was:

Yeah, but generate rpm's for final installation, its trivial.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-build-rpm.html

End of the link says Build Rpm. So, install building tools and
environment, and kernel-devel on the production system (5 years ago I
was thought that it is not wise to do so), and compile it against your
kernel.
And there is already built and tested "kmod-" module from ELRepo.

Just so I can answer you (all), I visited that web page and read following:
"Note that any kernel upgrade will require you to generate a new drbd-km
package to match the new kernel."

So, my assumption that kernel upgrade without rebuilding the module
would brake his production server was correct.

I used to use madwifi-kmdl kernel modules for my Atheros wireless radio
card, and each time I upgraded kernel I had to upgrade/install new
module also. Very tiresome.

Then I studied kmdl vs kmod packages and learned that kmod packages do
not need any recompilation after kernel upgrade. They use "weak-update"
model (essentially symlinks) as long as new kernel has same ABI as
previous ones. Install process of new kernel checks kernel modules of
currently installed kernels and symlinks them, avoiding need for
building them or installing new packages (hoping they are already
available). I was delighted when I saw that ELRepo developers use kmod
model, no more messing with kernel modules.

That is why I suggested using ELRepo kernel module package instead of
self-built one. Only reason I can see in building your own module is to
use those other packages (like drbd-heartbeat).

I hope this finally clears up what I tried to say:

1. Joseph's link clearly stated it was for self building the rpm(s) so I
did not need to visit the link to know what is on the page.

2. Developers of kernel module packages rarely use kmod approach in fear
people will mess it up (like installing vanila kernel on CentOS sistem
and still calling it CentOS,...). Ubuntu and Arch users especially have
this problem, so it is safer to build for each new kernel.

3. Kernel module re-packagers from ELRepo have luxury of safely offering
kmod packages for EL kernels, and I believe this is safest and best
approach.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Rainer Traut

Am 11.10.2011 11:27, schrieb Marko Weber:

> Do i have to enable the epel-test repo to get it
> But test sounds not stable for me and we switched to centos for
> stability.
>
> anyone here can help me or give me any hints on drbd on centos 6?
>
> Do i have to compile by hand?

No, use elrepo, do not compile and build a rpm by yourself.
This was already done be elrepo.

Look here how to enable it:
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Rainer

Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Marko Weber

Hi Ljubomir,

i am completely confused now.
With elrepo u dont mean "epel.repo" or?
How do i enable this "elrepo" in Centos?

marko

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
John Doe

From: Marko Weber <weber@zackbummfertig.de>

> i am completely confused now.
> With elrepo u dont mean "epel.repo" or?
> How do i enable this "elrepo" in Centos?

Google 'elrepo' and it is the first answer...

JD

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=elrepo&l=1

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Ross Walker

On Oct 11, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

> Bear in mind that RHEL kernel is not stock kernel,
> there are number of back-ported patches in it. It is safer to use a
> package with applied RHEL specific patches (if necessary) done by people
> working with RHEL kernel regularly.

Starting in CentOS 6 one cannot see the patches that are applied to the kernel by upstream as they are slip streamed into the kernel source tree.

Therefore one should test, test, test, test...

BTW Building the RPM directly from DRBD sources is fully supported by Linbit. Installing an RPM compiled by a third party, not so much.

-Ross