Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 AM
John R Pierce

Default Do the HDD cages in rack mount chassis indicate visual/audio HDD failure?

On 10/11/11 12:11 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
> In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
> hard disks have the following feature?
>
> (a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?

that requires specific configuration to suit whatever drive interconnect
you have.

> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.

If they are in hotswap bays, yes. if they aren't, no.

they have 2U servers with as many as 25 2.5" SAS bays now.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-11-2011, 01:06 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/11/11 12:11 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>> In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
>> hard disks have the following feature?
>>
>> (a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
>
> that requires specific configuration to suit whatever drive interconnect
> you have.

Sometimes, it's just looking at what drive is showing SMART (or other)
errors. Other times, look at the light.

>> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.
>
> If they are in hotswap bays, yes. if they aren't, no.

Don't waste time and money getting anything *other* than hot swap bays.
You really, really don't want to have to pull the server out, and take it
apart just to swap a bad drive.

> they have 2U servers with as many as 25 2.5" SAS bays now.

mark

Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Arun Khan

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/11 12:11 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>> In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
>> hard disks have the following feature?
>>
>> (a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
>
> that requires specific configuration to suit whatever drive interconnect
> you have.

Does these bays have a connector (+ cable) that is connected to the
motherboard or RAID card to control the HDD LEDs in the bay?
(sorry if this appears basic but I have no experience with such hardware)

>> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.
>
> If they are in hotswap bays, yes. *if they aren't, no.

Are the hot swap bays compatible with Linux mdadm RAID? i.e. Upon
detection of disk failure, the respective HDD LED on the bay can be
turned ON?

> they have 2U servers with as many as 25 2.5" SAS bays now.

The 2U system is for an appliance that I am building and it will be a
commercial product. I plan to order the "integrated" system from
"value add" SIs of Supremicro/Tyan (whover is able to satisfy the h/w
spec.). My storage requirement is 2TB (4X1TB disks), a 6 disk bay
should be sufficient (or whatever is the lowest denominator).

I am trying to reduce the cost if I can get by
with mdadm RAID10 with additional tools to detect failed drive and
then rebuild the s/w RAID10 when a new disk is inserted. In some
cases, it will not be possible to service the unit by me and for that
reason I am looking for a visual clue (LED ON) so that I can guide the
local sysadmin. I may have to go with H/W RAID if it is not possible
to do the same with mdadm RAID.

Thanks for your help.
-- Arun Khan

Old 10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Arun Khan

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 10/11/11 12:11 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>>> In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
>>> hard disks have the following feature?
>>>
>>> (a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
>>
>> that requires specific configuration to suit whatever drive interconnect
>> you have.
>
> Sometimes, it's just looking at what drive is showing SMART (or other)
> errors. Other times, look at the light.

Agree but it requires me to be in physical proximity of the system.
My objective is to make the "HDD failure recovery" process as
deterministic as possible. As stated in another response, this will
be an appliance running 24x7 at sites where Linux admin knowledge is
likely to be sparse and some sites may not give me connectivity over
the 'Net.

>>> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.
>>
>> If they are in hotswap bays, yes. *if they aren't, no.
>
> Don't waste time and money getting anything *other* than hot swap bays.
> You really, really don't want to have to pull the server out, and take it
> apart just to swap a bad drive.

OK, I have understood the value of hot swap bays for disk failure scenario.

Thanks,
-- Arun Khan

Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Arun Khan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>
> wrote:
>> On 10/11/11 12:11 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>>> In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
>>> hard disks have the following feature?
<snip>
> Does these bays have a connector (+ cable) that is connected to the
> motherboard or RAID card to control the HDD LEDs in the bay?
> (sorry if this appears basic but I have no experience with such hardware)

They have sleds. You screw a std. drive into one, and shove it in -
literally, that's all there is to it.

>>> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.
>>
>> If they are in hotswap bays, yes. *if they aren't, no.
>
> Are the hot swap bays compatible with Linux mdadm RAID? i.e. Upon
> detection of disk failure, the respective HDD LED on the bay can be
> turned ON?

Everything understands hot swap bays these days, and certainly Linux, like
every other version of Unix, does. Let's see, I have well over a hundred
rackmounts in our server rooms and the data center, all have hot swap, and
90% are running CentOS (and a very few RHEL, and a couple of odd things,
and there are the few WinDoze servers (they have hot swap, also).
<snip>
> The 2U system is for an appliance that I am building and it will be a
> commercial product. I plan to order the "integrated" system from
> "value add" SIs of Supremicro/Tyan (whover is able to satisfy the h/w
> spec.). My storage requirement is 2TB (4X1TB disks), a 6 disk bay
> should be sufficient (or whatever is the lowest denominator).

You absolutely do *NOT* want anything but hot swap. Take a look at the
Dell R[468]10's.
<snip>
mark

Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/11/11 7:29 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
>> that requires specific configuration to suit whatever drive interconnect
>> > you have.
> Does these bays have a connector (+ cable) that is connected to the
> motherboard or RAID card to control the HDD LEDs in the bay?
> (sorry if this appears basic but I have no experience with such hardware)

typically, a server will have a SAS backplane which sas/sata drives hot
plug into, and 1 or more 4 channel SAS ports that plug into the host bus
adapter or raid controller. this SAS backplane usually has a 'SES'
controller[*] embedded on it, which appears to the host as another SAS
device, and manages the LEDs. If its a brand name server (hp, dell,
ibm, etc) using the vendor's raid cards, the LEDs all just work. if
its whitebox stuff, with JBOD, getting the right failure LEDs to come on
may require some custom configuration.

[*] SES supercedes the earlier SAF-TE design for the same functionality.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 01:07:02 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I don't think anything is immune to failure. *Another fun case is a
>> randomly-bad memory bit causing different things to be written to
>> software raid mirrors. *I had one that took 3+ days of running
>> memtest86 to catch.
>
> ECC RAM?

The server said it was one-bit-correcting or something like that. I
thought it was supposed to stop if it had errors it couldn't correct.
I swapped the whole set out at once without digging much more into the
details.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com