Old 10-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Arun Khan

Default Do the HDD cages in rack mount chassis indicate visual/audio HDD failure?

I have no personal experience with rack mount chassis.

>From the past postings, I reckon there are members, in this list, who
have experience in rack mount setups and would like get their advice.

To reduce the H/W cost, I am considering Linux mdadm RAID10 on a 2U chassis.

I would appreciate clarification on the following:

In rack mount chassis, do the cages that house the
hard disks have the following feature?

(a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
(b) The failed HDD can be swapped.

TIA.
--
Arun Khan

Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Michael Schumacher

Dear Arun,

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 you wrote:

> I would appreciate clarification on the following:

> (a) Indicate disk failure. LED lights up and/or audio alarm?
> (b) The failed HDD can be swapped.

Don't rely on the LED going on. I mark all my hot swap disks with
labels with their serial number. This label is visible from the
outside without removing the HD.
That way, I can double check that I remove the faulty disk.
Pulling the wrong disk is the last thing you want to risk in a RAID
setup. Relying on a fault LED is close to that.
Also make a list of the HD serial numbers and their position within
the RAID in time. Store that in a safe place.

I pulled ONCE the wrong disk out of a Raid5 array. :-(
You know what that means?

best regards
---
Michael Schumacher
PAMAS Partikelmess- und Analysesysteme GmbH
Dieselstr.10, D-71277 Rutesheim
Tel +49-7152-99630
Fax +49-7152-996333
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Schreck
Handelsregister B Stuttgart HRB 252024

Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 01:07:02 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
> I don't think anything is immune to failure. Another fun case is a
> randomly-bad memory bit causing different things to be written to
> software raid mirrors. I had one that took 3+ days of running
> memtest86 to catch.

ECC RAM?