Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Default CentOS 5.7 PHP upgrade

It is a yum repository update. It worked great on the other machines. More
info here:http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP
Alan

Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/10/11 10:43 AM, dev@nkmo.com wrote:
> It is a yum repository update. It worked great on the other machines. More
> info here:http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP

thats nice, but its not part of CentOS, so you should probably get on
THEIR mail list and find out why its not working for 5.7

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-10-2011, 06:03 PM

I am not that particular about which method is used, I just want it
installed. I am new to the list and apologize if asking for this type of
help is inappropriate. Just trying to upgrade to make my developer happy.
Alan

Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Pavel Lisy

dev@nkmo.com p*še v Po 10. 10. 2011 v 10:30 -0700:
> Luigi,
> I ran the following commands which worked flawlessly on the CentOS 5.5

I think there is a better way. You can use php53 packages from centos.
I've had many bad experiences with third part repositories. So my
suggestion is: use std. repo whenever is it possible

Pavel

Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 PM

I would love to use the standard repository, unfortunately the package is
not found which was how I ended up finding the third part solution. I
tried:
yum update php
yum upgrade php
yum install php
yum install php53

root@378907 [~]# yum --disablerepo=atomic install php53
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
* rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Setting up Install Process
No package php53 available.
Nothing to do
root@378907 [~]#

I am not sure how to change repositories, not sure what the name is of the
official CentOS repository is to use the --enablerepo= command or how to
see if there is a php 5.3.x version available for my installation
available or if I am beating my head against a wall and the CentOS 5.7 is
actually incompatible with the newest version.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/10/11 11:27 AM, dev@nkmo.com wrote:
> I would love to use the standard repository, unfortunately the package is
> not found which was how I ended up finding the third part solution. I
> tried:
> yum update php
> yum upgrade php
> yum install php
> yum install php53

odd.

$ sudo yum list php53*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities
* base: mirror.nic.uoregon.edu
* extras: mirror.nic.uoregon.edu
* updates: centos.mirror.facebook.net
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Base
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Updates
Finished
Available Packages
php53.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-bcmath.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-cli.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-common.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-dba.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-devel.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-gd.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-imap.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-intl.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-ldap.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-mbstring.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-mysql.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-odbc.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-pdo.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-pgsql.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-process.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-pspell.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-snmp.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-soap.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-xml.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base
php53-xmlrpc.i386
5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 base

it appears from your yum output, you have the base repositories disabled?!?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Brian Mathis

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM, <dev@nkmo.com> wrote:
> I would love to use the standard repository, unfortunately the package is
> not found which was how I ended up finding the third part solution. I
> tried:
> yum update php
> yum upgrade php
> yum install php
> yum install php53
>
> root@378907 [~]# yum --disablerepo=atomic install php53
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> ** rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Setting up Install Process
> No package php53 available.
> Nothing to do
> root@378907 [~]#
>
> I am not sure how to change repositories, not sure what the name is of the
> official CentOS repository is to use the --enablerepo= command or how to
> see if there is a php 5.3.x version available for my installation
> available or if I am beating my head against a wall and the CentOS 5.7 is
> actually incompatible with the newest version.

The php53 package from the standard repo does not work well *, so you
are better off using a 3rd party repo. General consensus is that the
IUS repo (http://iuscommunity.org/) is the best one to use.

I would remove the atomic repo, install IUS, then install/update php from there.

Side point: Running arbitrary code from the web is a very bad idea, so
you should never do something like this:
wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic | sh # BAD!

* It's not so good because it does not provide proper rpm tags that
let other rpms know that php is installed. It announces itself as
"php53", and most package looks for "php", so they can't find it.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-

Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Steve Walsh

On 10/11/2011 05:35 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> The php53 package from the standard repo does not work well *, so you
> are better off using a 3rd party repo. General consensus is that the
> IUS repo (http://iuscommunity.org/) is the best one to use.
>
> I would remove the atomic repo, install IUS, then install/update php from there.

Atomic Rocket Turtle is an add-on repository for people running the
PLESK control panel, so they can upgrade their version of php from that
which PLESK installs by default.

> * It's not so good because it does not provide proper rpm tags that
> let other rpms know that php is installed. It announces itself as
> "php53", and most package looks for "php", so they can't find it.

Which is exactly the problem that plagues the php53 packages upstream
have supplied for EL5. IUS is about the best bet to resolve this issue

Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 PM

I got the IUS installed using the commands but was still unable to upgrade
the php package, any ideas?

root@378907 [/home/ajhalls]# rpm -install epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
-install: unknown option
root@378907 [/home/ajhalls]# rpm -ivh epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
warning: epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm: Header V4 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
ID 9cd4953f
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
1:epel-release ###########################################
[100%]
root@378907 [/home/ajhalls]# rpm -ivh
00031.mpg install-tl-unx/
10-6-11.tar ius-release-1.0-8.ius.el5.noarch.rpm
access-logs/ .lastlogin
applications/ mail/
backups/ Media/
.bash_history .mozilla/
.bash_logout .my.cnf
.bash_profile mysql
.bashrc .mysql_history
conf/ perl5/
.contactemail public_ftp/
.cpanel/ public_html/
cpanel3-skel/ quiz_category.txt
DB_backup_10-6-11.sql safehtml.php
.dns show
epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm .ssh/
etc/ stats/
flv/ tmp/
forum.sql .trash/
hello uptime.log
homux-stat.db www/
.htpasswds/ .Xauthority
I.am.number.1 .zshrc
root@378907 [/home/ajhalls]# rpm -ivh ius-release-1.0-8.ius.el5.noarch.rpm
warning: ius-release-1.0-8.ius.el5.noarch.rpm: Header V4 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID 9cd4953f
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
1:ius-release ###########################################
[100%]
root@378907 [/home/ajhalls]# yum upgrade php
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
* epel: linux.mirrors.es.net
* ius: pancks.sothatswhy.org.uk
* rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
addons | 951 B 00:00
base | 1.1 kB 00:00
epel | 3.7 kB 00:00
epel/primary_db | 3.8 MB 00:03
extras | 2.1 kB 00:00
ius | 2.2 kB 00:00
ius/primary_db | 83 kB 00:00
rpmforge | 1.1 kB 00:00
updates | 1.9 kB 00:00
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Setting up Upgrade Process
root@378907 [/home/ajhalls]# yum install php53

Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM

dev@nkmo.com wrote:
> I got the IUS installed using the commands but was still unable to upgrade
> the php package, any ideas?
<snip>
I may have missed some previously in this thread, so forgive me if I asked
something that's already been suggested: what's the o/p of
yum list *php*
?

mark