Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default CentOS-6.0 Continuous Release ( CR ) repository

I don't really understand the function of this repository,
or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?

I read the outline at
<http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>,
and added the repository on two CentOS machines.
On yum-updating some 450MB of updates were installed.
Both machines appear to be running perfectly well.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Timothy Murphy writes:

> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?

Because there is no "standard repository" yet. These RPMs are from the next
version (6.1 as we write this) which has not been published yet. CR is just
a way to keep up with updates while they work on publishing Centos 6.1.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/08/2011 02:34 PM, Timothy Murphy piše:
> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>
> I read the outline at
> <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>,
> and added the repository on two CentOS machines.
> On yum-updating some 450MB of updates were installed.
> Both machines appear to be running perfectly well.

Every minor version is treated as upgrade, not update. If CR packages
would be added to existing updates 6.0 repository, what would people who
want ONLY 6.0 do? There are many other more compelling reasons, but even
this one is enough.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 10/08/2011 02:34 PM, Timothy Murphy piše:
>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>>
>> I read the outline at
>> <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>,
>> and added the repository on two CentOS machines.
>> On yum-updating some 450MB of updates were installed.
>> Both machines appear to be running perfectly well.
>>

> Every minor version is treated as upgrade, not update. If CR packages
> would be added to existing updates 6.0 repository, what would people who
> want ONLY 6.0 do? There are many other more compelling reasons, but even
> this one is enough.

the vast majority of people who want "only 6.0" don't understand the
centos release process.
I'ld say the main reason for CR is conformance to upstream.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/08/2011 03:22 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg piše:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 10/08/2011 02:34 PM, Timothy Murphy piše:
>>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>>>
>>> I read the outline at
>>> <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>,
>>> and added the repository on two CentOS machines.
>>> On yum-updating some 450MB of updates were installed.
>>> Both machines appear to be running perfectly well.
>>>

>> Every minor version is treated as upgrade, not update. If CR packages
>> would be added to existing updates 6.0 repository, what would people who
>> want ONLY 6.0 do? There are many other more compelling reasons, but even
>> this one is enough.
>>

> the vast majority of people who want "only 6.0" don't understand the
> centos release process.
> I'ld say the main reason for CR is conformance to upstream.

There are large systems that are obligated to use only packages from
official releases/packages for security, etc.

Some people could advocate braking from "conformance to upstream", it's
"political" reason, that is why I avoid it. Separation of individual
minor version is technical reason and enough as a show stopper, that is
why I chose it.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Ned Slider

On 08/10/11 14:22, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 10/08/2011 02:34 PM, Timothy Murphy piše:
>>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>>>
>>> I read the outline at
>>> <http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR>,
>>> and added the repository on two CentOS machines.
>>> On yum-updating some 450MB of updates were installed.
>>> Both machines appear to be running perfectly well.
>>>

>> Every minor version is treated as upgrade, not update. If CR packages
>> would be added to existing updates 6.0 repository, what would people who
>> want ONLY 6.0 do? There are many other more compelling reasons, but even
>> this one is enough.
>>

> the vast majority of people who want "only 6.0" don't understand the
> centos release process.
> I'ld say the main reason for CR is conformance to upstream.

The CR repository was originally intended to be a fast track mechanism
by which packages from the next point release could be released to the
public once they had been built and passed QA without having to wait for
ISO images to be built and sync'd to the mirrors.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Timothy Murphy

nux@li.nux.ro wrote:

>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?

> Because there is no "standard repository" yet. These RPMs are from the
> next version (6.1 as we write this) which has not been published yet. CR
> is just a way to keep up with updates while they work on publishing Centos
> 6.1.

I've read the various responses, and am not really convinced.
It seems to me the developers are just making more work for themselves.
Of course that is their prerogative ...

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Timothy Murphy

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> the vast majority of people who want "only 6.0" don't understand the
> centos release process.

Are there such people?
I thought everyone was screaming for 6.1?

As far as I am concerned, a system either works or does not work;
and my system seems to work fine after CR update.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:51 PM
John Hodrien

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
>
>>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>
>> Because there is no "standard repository" yet. These RPMs are from the
>> next version (6.1 as we write this) which has not been published yet. CR
>> is just a way to keep up with updates while they work on publishing Centos
>> 6.1.
>
> I've read the various responses, and am not really convinced.
> It seems to me the developers are just making more work for themselves.
> Of course that is their prerogative ...

Look at it differently then. They're building packages for 6.1, and some pass
QA and some don't. Equally getting anaconda happy is required. Until you get
all of that done, you don't get 6.1. Up that point, why not release packages
that pass QA? That's CR, so it shouldn't involve an excessive amount of extra
work, but it does offer faster access to the updates.

jh

Old 10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
John Hinton

On 10/8/2011 10:30 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> nux@li.nux.ro wrote:
>
>>> I don't really understand the function of this repository,
>>> or rather why the RPMs in it are not in the standard repository?
>> Because there is no "standard repository" yet. These RPMs are from the
>> next version (6.1 as we write this) which has not been published yet. CR
>> is just a way to keep up with updates while they work on publishing Centos
>> 6.1.
> I've read the various responses, and am not really convinced.
> It seems to me the developers are just making more work for themselves.
> Of course that is their prerogative ...

It is really quite simple. 6.1 is not out. Many of us absolutely must
have 6.0 serving the public at this point. There are no more security
updates for 6.0. So, why not provide updated packages as they are
available, if they don't break other packages? It seems very sound
reasoning to me. Extra work? Well, it is some, but not really that much.

To me, this is another case of the CentOS team trying hard to provide
what the community needs as fast as they can. Choose to use the CR or
not. For me and I'm certain many others, I'm very happy that it is
there! And this provides an answer for now and perhaps again in the
future when a minor release occurs just before a major security issue,
leaving the ability to move forward with the new security packages
before the minor release is ready.

As for passing security 'testing'. Well, CR might not provide the answer
the 'testers' want, but do they ultimately want security or do they only
want you to pass the test? Sometimes I think the latter... a question of
'perceived' or 'actual'. I'll choose actual... and like it to be pretty
quick... and CR provides an aid there.

John Hinton

--
John Hinton