Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Kenneth Porter

Default Installing Ruby gems on RPM-based systems

When I first got involved with Red Hat (back with 5.2 in the early 90's) I
learned the hard way not to use language-specific packaging systems like
CPAN for Perl because they'd conflict with RPM's database and make it much
harder to manage what was installed on my system. If I now need a package
for which no RPM is available, I'll use a utility like cpanspec to
repackage it into an RPM and install that.

Now I'm starting to work with Ruby and apparently it has its own packages
called "gems". How do people deal with making Ruby and RPM get along?

I'm trying to build Diaspora, an open source alternative to Facebook, and
it wants me to install a ton of gems. I'm working on a "disposable" machine
that I can re-image at will, so I let it use Ruby's "bundle install"
command to dump all the gems from the Ruby repositories into their system
location. But in a "real" installation I'd want to do this with RPM,
repackaging gems as needed. What's available to do this properly?

<https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Installing-and-Running-Diaspora>

Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Kenneth Porter

--On Saturday, October 08, 2011 4:56 AM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> How do people deal with making Ruby and RPM get along?

No sooner do I hit the send button than I realize how to frame the question
to Google and find the answer. For the list archives:

<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Ruby>

Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 03:56 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> When I first got involved with Red Hat (back with 5.2 in the early 90's) I
> learned the hard way not to use language-specific packaging systems like
> CPAN for Perl because they'd conflict with RPM's database and make it much
> harder to manage what was installed on my system. If I now need a package
> for which no RPM is available, I'll use a utility like cpanspec to
> repackage it into an RPM and install that.
>
> Now I'm starting to work with Ruby and apparently it has its own packages
> called "gems". How do people deal with making Ruby and RPM get along?
>
> I'm trying to build Diaspora, an open source alternative to Facebook, and
> it wants me to install a ton of gems. I'm working on a "disposable" machine
> that I can re-image at will, so I let it use Ruby's "bundle install"
> command to dump all the gems from the Ruby repositories into their system
> location. But in a "real" installation I'd want to do this with RPM,
> repackaging gems as needed. What's available to do this properly?
>
> <https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Installing-and-Running-Diaspora>
----
CentOS 6 is new so there's little experience with running ruby packages
on it but there's really no problem with running 'gem install
$SOME_PACKAGE' on any system. Realistically, the available rpm packages
are never going to keep up with the gems so after you get the base ruby
rpm packages installed (ruby/ruby-irb/ruby-ri/ruby-rdoc/ruby-gems) you
should probably just quit there and use the built-in gem package
provider to do everything else. Also, if you are talking about something
like a Ruby on Rails solution, the more organized setups will use
'bundler' to get the application up to speed rather quickly.

Some people use RVM (ruby virtual manager which will allow you to have
multiple versions of ruby on the same computer). This pretty much steps
outside of the native rpm packaging completely.

CentOS 5.x however is a different beast and the ruby implementation is
1.8.5-X which is too old to do much of anything and I've found the
simplest thing to do is not use any CentOS ruby packages whatsoever and
simply use 'Enterprise ruby'

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Kenneth Porter

--On Saturday, October 08, 2011 6:29 AM -0700 Craig White
<craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> CentOS 6 is new so there's little experience with running ruby packages
> on it but there's really no problem with running 'gem install
> $SOME_PACKAGE' on any system. Realistically, the available rpm packages
> are never going to keep up with the gems so after you get the base ruby
> rpm packages installed (ruby/ruby-irb/ruby-ri/ruby-rdoc/ruby-gems) you
> should probably just quit there and use the built-in gem package
> provider to do everything else. Also, if you are talking about something
> like a Ruby on Rails solution, the more organized setups will use
> 'bundler' to get the application up to speed rather quickly.

That makes sense.

I played a little with gem2rpm but to really be useful there should be a
yum repository of standard gems that tracks whatever ruby's normal upstream
repositories hold (its CPAN equivalent).

Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 05:46 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Saturday, October 08, 2011 6:29 AM -0700 Craig White
> <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > CentOS 6 is new so there's little experience with running ruby packages
> > on it but there's really no problem with running 'gem install
> > $SOME_PACKAGE' on any system. Realistically, the available rpm packages
> > are never going to keep up with the gems so after you get the base ruby
> > rpm packages installed (ruby/ruby-irb/ruby-ri/ruby-rdoc/ruby-gems) you
> > should probably just quit there and use the built-in gem package
> > provider to do everything else. Also, if you are talking about something
> > like a Ruby on Rails solution, the more organized setups will use
> > 'bundler' to get the application up to speed rather quickly.
>
> That makes sense.
>
> I played a little with gem2rpm but to really be useful there should be a
> yum repository of standard gems that tracks whatever ruby's normal upstream
> repositories hold (its CPAN equivalent).
----
gem development is too fast/furious for any type of distribution native
packaging to reasonably keep up. I've never actually looked at any
gem2rpm thing and the thought of doing so seems ridiculous to me.

I've been using ruby stuff since 2005 and I pretty much avoid the
distribution packages. FWIW, I don't use the native RPM ruby packages on
CentOS and likewise, don't use the native DPKG ruby packages on Ubuntu
and use Enterprise Ruby either.

Eventually it becomes obvious that to do anything serious with ruby, the
OS packages lag behind and become the problem. If you are doing
lightweight things, then you can probably get by. Certainly for
someone's first foray into ruby, CentOS 6 ruby packages are sufficient
and once you have the base installation, the gem packaging provider can
handle things quite well.

Craig

believed to be clean.