Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Todd Cary

Default Formatting an external USB drive

I have an external USB drive that was formatted with NTFS and I
want to use it to backup some files from my Centos 5.5 system.

When I check my documentation, I am not certain of the best way
to do the formatting.

Suggestions welcomed....

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 PM
"David C. Miller"

> I have an external USB drive that was formatted with NTFS and I
> want to use it to backup some files from my Centos 5.5 system.
>
> When I check my documentation, I am not certain of the best way
> to do the formatting.
>
> Suggestions welcomed....
>
> Todd
>
> --
> Ariste Software
> Petaluma, CA 94952
>
> http://www.aristesoftware.com

Use fdisk as root. Before plugging the drive in type "fdisk -l" to get a listing of drives already attached. Plug the drive in and after a minute type "fdisk -l" to see the new drive listed. It will be something like /dev/sdX where X is the next letter in the order. to set the drive up type "fdisk /dev/sdX". To clear the partition table type o and hit return and then type w and hit return. Now type "fdisk /dev/sdX" again. Type n and hit return. Type p and hit return. Type 1 and hit return. Hit return twice more to use the whole disk. Type w and hit return to finish. To format it type "mkfs.ext3 -L usb-disk /dev/sdX1" and hit return to format the partition as ext3. Create a directory to mount the disk to "mkdir /backup-disk" and then mount it "mount LABEL=usb-disk /backup-disk". To have it auto mount at boot edit the /etc/fstab file and add.

LABEL=usb-disk /backup-disk ext3 defaults 0 0

David.