Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
fred smith

Default Firefox 7 on CentOS 5

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 09:23:46AM -0400, Wade Hampton wrote:
> Anyone have any luck running updated Firefox
> on CentOS 5? We have CentOS 5 workstations
> and need to update their Firefox but it dumps
> core even when using the libstdc++ from Fedora 9.
>
> I would like anything stable and secure beyond
> Firefox 3 but can't find tarballs for anything
> other than 7.0.1.

I'm running Firefox-7 on Centos 5.7.

Back on (I think it was) Firefox 5, I found that firefox had
dependencies on libstdc++ that weren't met by the lib on centos.

I went digging around on my system and found that some other
programs had their own local copies of libstdc++, so I tried
copying them, once at a time, into the same directory where
mozilla itself keeps some libraries. After a little cut-n-try
I found one that worked.

I've not changed it since, it still works.

Not sure how to discover the version # of the libstdc++.so.6 I am
using, but dong some 'finding' on my system I see that there is a
copy of libstdc++.so.6 in two different places that are the same size
as the one Firefox is ucing. they are 970680 bytes, and the filename
is "libstdc++.so.6.0.9", FWIW.

I also note that Centos-6 works with Firefox-7 without having to
do what I described above. Simplest for you MAY be to excerpt the
libstdc++.so.6.* from centos-6 rather than groping for one, as I did.

Good luck!

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Lars Hecking

Wade Hampton writes:
> Anyone have any luck running updated Firefox
> on CentOS 5? We have CentOS 5 workstations
> and need to update their Firefox but it dumps
> core even when using the libstdc++ from Fedora 9.
>
> I would like anything stable and secure beyond
> Firefox 3 but can't find tarballs for anything
> other than 7.0.1.
>
> CentOS 5.5 i386 w/ updates
> firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2
> libstdc++-4.3.0-8.i386.rpm from Fedora 9

Yes, this combination works fine here. Except, I'm using it on 5.7 with
the x86_64 version of everything. Make sure to rename the stdc++ library
to libstdc++.so.6 and drop it into the top firefox installation directory
where the binary and the bulk of the .so libs live.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Wade Hampton

Turns out it works find as a user installed in
their directory but not as root when installed
in /usr/local/firefox. Not sure what's up but
I'm good for now.

On my CentOS 5 workstation, I see some
artifacts when displaying graphical bullets,
especially at specific resolutions. This was
supposedly fixed in Firefox 4 but I still see
them in Firefox 7. Not major but an annoyance.

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton