Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Default CentOS 6: hostname and timezone

Alexander Farber writes:
> Actually I already seem to have the correct timezone file,
> but why is the time wrong?
>

> afarber@CentOS-60-64-minimal:~> sudo diff
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
>
> afarber@CentOS-60-64-minimal:~> date
> Wed Oct 5 00:35:39 CEST 2011
>
> Should I:
>
> chkconfig ntp on
> service ntp start
>
> Or is the reasone elsewhere?
>
> Sorry for the basic questions, I'm new to CentOS 6

ntp will change the time in small increments only. If there's a big gap,
and if you can live with a big jump, set the time manually and then enable
ntp.

Also check out system-config-date-1.9.60-1.el6.noarch.rpm.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
ken

On 10/04/2011 10:33 AM Alexander Farber wrote:
> And also, which /etc/localtime do I have now?

Please run these commands and copy-paste them w/ output back to me:

cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
/etc/init.d/ntpd status
/sbin/hwclock
date

Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Alexander Farber

Actually it is working now, thank you all!

[root@preferans afarber]# cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
ZONE="Europe/Berlin"
[root@preferans afarber]# /etc/init.d/ntpd status
ntpd (pid 1365) is running...
[root@preferans afarber]# /sbin/hwclock
Tue 04 Oct 2011 07:10:06 PM CEST -0.797338 seconds
[root@preferans afarber]# date
Tue Oct 4 19:10:09 CEST 2011