Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Alexander Farber

Default CentOS 6: hostname and timezone

Hello,

I've purchased a new dedicated CentOS 6.0 / 64 bit server
and have 2 minor problems please:

1) The "hostname" is reported as CentOS-60-64-minimal at CLI -
eventhough I've edited /etc/hosts and changed the 2nd line:

127.0.0.1 localhost
176.9.123.123 preferans

2) Why is /etc/localtime a regular file? Should I maybe

rm /etc/localtime
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime

Why isn't it done by the CentOS 6.0 install?

Thank you
Alex

Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
John Kennedy

For changing the hostname without restart use the hostname command:
hostname newhost.domain.com

To keep the new hostname between restarts edit /etc/sysconfig/network, and
change the hostname there.

Also its a good idea to check /etc/hosts, it can contain the old hostname,
change/delete it.
John Kennedy

Old 10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
John Kennedy

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 15:22, John Kennedy <skebi69@gmail.com> wrote:

> For changing the hostname without restart use the hostname command:
> hostname newhost.domain.com
>
> To keep the new hostname between restarts edit /etc/sysconfig/network, and
> change the hostname there.
>
> Also its a good idea to check /etc/hosts, it can contain the old hostname,
> change/delete it.
> John Kennedy
>

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 15:18, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've purchased a new dedicated CentOS 6.0 / 64 bit server
>> and have 2 minor problems please:
>>
>> 1) The "hostname" is reported as CentOS-60-64-minimal at CLI -
>> eventhough I've edited /etc/hosts and changed the 2nd line:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> 176.9.123.123 preferans

Sorry for the top post...Hit send before I looked and changed it...Damn web
interface...
John

Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Alexander Farber

Thank you all,

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM, lists-centos
<replies-lists-b3z2-centos@listmail.innovate.net> wrote:
> *2 - you can do the symbolic link, but i believe that RH moved
> * * away from that approach for some reason. the appropriate
> * * TZ file is copied to /etc/localtime when the TZ is selected
> * * on install or changed.

is there maybe a command for setting TZ "in a CentOS way"?

I've looked for redhat-* centos-* system-* in /sbin and /usr/sbin

Regards
Alex

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Alexander Farber

And also, which /etc/localtime do I have now?

Is there a way to find out besides running "diff"?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Alexander Farber

Actually I already seem to have the correct timezone file,
but why is the time wrong?

afarber@CentOS-60-64-minimal:~> sudo diff
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime

afarber@CentOS-60-64-minimal:~> date
Wed Oct 5 00:35:39 CEST 2011

Should I:

chkconfig ntp on
service ntp start

Or is the reasone elsewhere?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm new to CentOS 6

Regards
Alex