FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Negative
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
virtual machine manager on a just updated to centos 5.7, and they are both
crashing the host machine. They run only for a few minutes, but suddenly
freeze, crashing the host. There is no networking. No X. No way to drop out
of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see anything in the logs --
messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before the crash.

I haven't found anything like this on the web or on this list. The
workstation has two xeon E5410s. I noticed that both the kvm-amd and
kvm-intel modules are loaded, but don't know if that would cause a problem.
I had an ati firepro graphics card in the machine, but suspected that might
be the source of some conflict, and I put in an Nvidia card.

The vm's were built with all the defaults. The configuration is just about
identical to vms I have running on a smaller machine with a dual core
Athalon.

Thanks for any suggestions.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Digimer
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

On 10/03/2011 10:16 PM, Negative wrote:
> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
> virtual machine manager on a just updated to centos 5.7, and they are both
> crashing the host machine. They run only for a few minutes, but suddenly
> freeze, crashing the host. There is no networking. No X. No way to drop out
> of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see anything in the logs --
> messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before the crash.
>
> I haven't found anything like this on the web or on this list. The
> workstation has two xeon E5410s. I noticed that both the kvm-amd and
> kvm-intel modules are loaded, but don't know if that would cause a problem.
> I had an ati firepro graphics card in the machine, but suspected that might
> be the source of some conflict, and I put in an Nvidia card.
>
> The vm's were built with all the defaults. The configuration is just about
> identical to vms I have running on a smaller machine with a dual core
> Athalon.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

What hypervisor/version?

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com
Freenode handle: digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
Node Assassin: http://nodeassassin.org
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Brian Mathis
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com> wrote:
> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
> virtual machine manager on a *just updated to centos 5.7, and they are both
> crashing the host machine. They run only *for a few minutes, but suddenly
> freeze, crashing the host. *There is no networking. No X. No way to drop out
> of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see anything in the logs --
> messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before the crash.
>
> I haven't found anything like this on the web or on this list. The
> workstation has two xeon E5410s. I noticed that both the kvm-amd and
> kvm-intel modules are loaded, but don't know if that would cause a problem.
> I had an ati firepro graphics card in the machine, but suspected that might
> be the source of some conflict, and I put in an Nvidia card.
>
> The vm's were built with all the defaults. The configuration is just about
> identical to vms I have running on a smaller machine with a dual core
> Athalon.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.


Is this new hardware? Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? This sounds like a
hardware issue to me.


-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
>> virtual machine manager on a *just updated to centos 5.7, and they are
>> both crashing the host machine. They run only *for a few minutes, but
>> suddenly freeze, crashing the host. *There is no networking. No X. No
>> way to drop out of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see
>> anything in the logs -- messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before
>> the crash.
<snip>
> Is this new hardware? Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
> RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? This sounds like a
> hardware issue to me.

I agree with Brian - it may be coincidental that you built the VMs, and
then it started crashing.

One other question: is selinux enabled?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Negative
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Brian Mathis wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
> >> virtual machine manager on a just updated to centos 5.7, and they are
> >> both crashing the host machine. They run only for a few minutes, but
> >> suddenly freeze, crashing the host. There is no networking. No X. No
> >> way to drop out of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see
> >> anything in the logs -- messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before
> >> the crash.
> <snip>
> > Is this new hardware? Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
> > RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? This sounds like a
> > hardware issue to me.
>

It's about three years old. I had one hardware issue a year ago in which a
video card fried, but it's been great. I will run memtest this afternoon.


> I agree with Brian - it may be coincidental that you built the VMs, and
> then it started crashing.
>

I should run memtest. I don't know of a tool to check the processors. I use
the machine for analyzing data, and often use most of the 32 gigs of memory
in it, but I doubt I've ever seriously stressed the processors.

I created the two guests with the gui, but since they crash, I started one
without starting X on the host, using virsh. The guest and host both stay
up. When starting using virsh with the --console switch I get what looks
like a telnet connection. But I know almost nothing about Windows and don't
know what to look at. Networking between the guest and host might be borked
-- and that would've been my fault. Then, every time X is running the guest
and host crash.


>
> One other question: is selinux enabled?
>

Yes. No warnings, though.

>
> mark
>
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Brian Mathis
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Brian Mathis wrote:
>> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
>> >> virtual machine manager on a  just updated to centos 5.7, and they are
>> >> both crashing the host machine. They run only  for a few minutes, but
>> >> suddenly freeze, crashing the host. Â There is no networking. No X. No
>> >> way to drop out of X. The only way out is a hard reboot. I don't see
>> >> anything in the logs -- messages or libvirt logs -- immediately before
>> >> the crash.
>> <snip>
>> > Is this new hardware? *Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
>> > RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? *This sounds like a
>> > hardware issue to me.
>
> It's about three years old. I had one hardware issue a year ago in which a
> video card fried, but it's been great. I will run memtest this afternoon.
>
>> I agree with Brian - it may be coincidental that you built the VMs, and
>> then it started crashing.
>>
> I should run memtest. I don't know of a tool to check the processors. I use
> the machine for analyzing data, and often use most of the 32 gigs of memory
> in it, but I doubt I've ever seriously stressed the processors.
>
> I created the two guests with the gui, but since they crash, I started one
> without starting X on the host, using virsh. The guest and host both stay
> up. When starting using *virsh with the --console switch I get what looks
> like a telnet connection. But I know almost nothing about Windows and don't
> know what to look at. Networking between the guest and host might be borked
> -- and that would've been my fault. Then, every time X is running the guest
> and host crash.
>>
>> One other question: is selinux enabled?
>>
>
> Yes. No warnings, though.
>>
>> * * * *mark


It should not matter what the guest is, so Windows or Linux it
shouldn't be crashing. If not hardware, it points to a bug in the
hypervisor software.


-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

Negative wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Brian Mathis wrote:
>> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>>>> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
>>>> virtual machine manager on a just updated to centos 5.7, and they
>>>> are both crashing the host machine. They run only for a few minutes,
<snip>
>> > Is this new hardware? Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
>> > RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? This sounds like a
>> > hardware issue to me.
>
> It's about three years old. I had one hardware issue a year ago in which a
> video card fried, but it's been great. I will run memtest this afternoon.
>
>> I agree with Brian - it may be coincidental that you built the VMs, and
>> then it started crashing.
<snip>
> -- and that would've been my fault. Then, every time X is running the
> guest and host crash.
>>
>> One other question: is selinux enabled?
>
> Yes. No warnings, though.

More and more it sounds like a hardware issue. Hmm, every time X is
running, and you say you had one video card fried - how did it fry? Also,
is this machine on a good quality surge protector? Have you had a
thunderstorm, or power outages recently?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Negative
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Negative wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> >> Brian Mathis wrote:
> >> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative <negativebinomial@gmail.com
> >
> >> > wrote:
> >>>> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using the
> >>>> virtual machine manager on a just updated to centos 5.7, and they
> >>>> are both crashing the host machine. They run only for a few minutes,
> <snip>
> >> > Is this new hardware? Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
> >> > RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? This sounds like a
> >> > hardware issue to me.
> >
> > It's about three years old. I had one hardware issue a year ago in which
> a
> > video card fried, but it's been great. I will run memtest this afternoon.
> >
> >> I agree with Brian - it may be coincidental that you built the VMs, and
> >> then it started crashing.
> <snip>
> > -- and that would've been my fault. Then, every time X is running the
> > guest and host crash.
> >>
> >> One other question: is selinux enabled?
> >
> > Yes. No warnings, though.
>
> More and more it sounds like a hardware issue. Hmm, every time X is
> running, and you say you had one video card fried - how did it fry? Also,
> is this machine on a good quality surge protector? Have you had a
> thunderstorm, or power outages recently?
>
> mark
>

The vendor told me that the particular video card model (I forget which) had
some flaw. In any case the fan stopped running, and it heated up. I usually
use the machine remotely but I was at the console at that moment. The
monitor started flickering and then went gray.

The vendor sent a replacement, but I had thrown an old ATI in before it
arrived. When the crashes occurred now, I finally put in the replacement.
Same behavior.

The surge protector is good. I live in NYC and the biggest environmental
hazard is the cleaning lady, who has in the past tripped the surge protector
switch.

I fear you're right about the hardware. But as far as I can tell everything
else works fine. I went overboard in buying two quad processors -- so I
could live with one if that's the problem.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

Negative wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Negative wrote:
>> > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> >> Brian Mathis wrote:
>> >> > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Negative
>> <negativebinomial@gmail.com
>> >
>> >> > wrote:
>> >>>> I built guest vm's one for Windows 7 and one for Windows XP using
>> >>>> the
>> >>>> virtual machine manager on a just updated to centos 5.7, and they
>> >>>> are both crashing the host machine. They run only for a few
>> minutes,
>> <snip>
>> >> > Is this new hardware? Have you run any hardware burn testing (CPU,
>> >> > RAM, etc...) and/or memtest86+ on the RAM? This sounds like a
>> >> > hardware issue to me.
>> >
<snip>
>> More and more it sounds like a hardware issue. Hmm, every time X is
>> running, and you say you had one video card fried - how did it fry?
>> Also,
>> is this machine on a good quality surge protector? Have you had a
>> thunderstorm, or power outages recently?
>
> The vendor told me that the particular video card model (I forget which)
> had some flaw. In any case the fan stopped running, and it heated up. I
> usually use the machine remotely but I was at the console at that moment.
> The monitor started flickering and then went gray.
>
> The vendor sent a replacement, but I had thrown an old ATI in before it
> arrived. When the crashes occurred now, I finally put in the replacement.
> Same behavior.

Have you examined the m/b and cards *around* where the card fried? Its
heat death may have affected things around it.
>
> The surge protector is good. I live in NYC and the biggest environmental
> hazard is the cleaning lady, who has in the past tripped the surge
> protector switch.

<g> Do you know the story about the mainframe shop, the racks of tapes,
and the cleaning staff?
>
> I fear you're right about the hardware. But as far as I can tell
> everything else works fine. I went overboard in buying two quad
> processors -- so I could live with one if that's the problem.

A replacement m/b?

mark


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Toby Bluhm
 
Default guest vms crash host systems

If you haven't already, check the mainboard & power supply for bad
capacitors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org