Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default ssh -D socks proxy through CentOS-5

Is there anything special in the way of configuration that
is required to enable a CentOS box to act as the point of
origin for an http request routed to it via a SOCKS ssh
link?

I have researched this matter and the recommended
procedure is to open an SSH connection to the desired host
passing the requisite switches so:

ssh -f -n -D <port> user@host.domain.tld

And then reconfigure the desired applications to use the
localhost:<port> as the SOCKS proxy.

However, I cannot seem to get this to work with my CentOS
based desktop to which I am trying to connect through a
public wireless network. I connect to the desktop via
terminal (on OSX-10.6.8 fine), but setting the browser,
Firefox-3.6.23, advanced network config to use
localhost:<port> as a SOCKSv5 proxy for http simply
results in the browser failing to show anything. I do not
get any error, I just get a blank page for whatever url I
try.

I have tried this with and without the iptables service
running on the target and achieved the same results.
Therefore I do not consider the firewall configuration on
the target to be the immediate problem.

Has anyone here tried to do this and succeeded?

Supplemental question: How does one route an https
connection to a non-standard port via SOCKS? How does one
configure a browser to do this?

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> Is there anything special in the way of configuration that
> is required to enable a CentOS box to act as the point of
> origin for an http request routed to it via a SOCKS ssh
> link?
>
> I have researched this matter and the recommended
> procedure is to open an SSH connection to the desired host
> passing the requisite switches so:
>
> *ssh -f -n -D <port> user@host.domain.tld
>
> And then reconfigure the desired applications to use the
> localhost:<port> as the SOCKS proxy.

Would this blog help? It's been working for me:

http://blog.toracat.org/2008/09/socks-proxy-with-auto-config/

Akemi

Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, September 29, 2011 15:13, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM, James B. Byrne
> <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
>> Is there anything special in the way of configuration
>> that
>> is required to enable a CentOS box to act as the point
>> of
>> origin for an http request routed to it via a SOCKS ssh
>> link?
>>
>> I have researched this matter and the recommended
>> procedure is to open an SSH connection to the desired
>> host
>> passing the requisite switches so:
>>
>> *ssh -f -n -D <port> user@host.domain.tld
>>
>> And then reconfigure the desired applications to use the
>> localhost:<port> as the SOCKS proxy.
>
> Would this blog help? It's been working for me:
>
> http://blog.toracat.org/2008/09/socks-proxy-with-auto-config/
>
> Akemi

Yes it did help. However, I only discovered my error when
I carefully considered the contents of this site:

http://sage.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/wiki/index.php/SSH_and_Tunneling

Which gives an excellent overview of the entire process.
My error was to configure both the http proxy and the
socks proxy in Firefox, mistakenly thinking that the one
should point to the other. The proper configuration is to
just set up the socks proxy alone and not proxy localhost
at all.

I now am able to create a tunnel and securely web-browse
from my laptop through my desktop unit at work. I
discovered that the custom port issue I feared does not
exist because the thing that is important for socks is the
protocol and not the address.

Thanks,