-   -   add on sata card relabeling drives, installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/581365-add-sata-card-relabeling-drives-installation.html)

Bob Hoffman 09-28-2011 11:47 PM

add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Hi all.

I have a new server and am playing with the installation. (centos 6). My
onboard sata card has 6 drives attached to it,
yet the server has 8 bays. I bought a sata controller card (adaptec) and
added it to the mix, adding two more drives.

Everything works and all is accessible, but there is one annoying issue.

When installing with anaconda, the 2 drives located on the add-on sata
card are being listed as sda and sdb instead of going
to the back of the line.

I would rather my a and b drives be the 0 and 1 sata ports of the
onboard controller, but it seems the add-on is taking priority.

My only thought is to install without the 2 drives connected and then
add them afterwords.
But again, that makes no sense to have to do it that way.

Is this just normal for the add on sata cards?
If I add the drives to the system after I install it all, will linux
barf on it and change the drive letters?

I do not want my raid 1 mirror OS to be on sdc, sdd, and sde....it just
looks weird.

thanks

Craig White 09-28-2011 11:57 PM

On Sep 28, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have a new server and am playing with the installation. (centos 6). My
> onboard sata card has 6 drives attached to it,
> yet the server has 8 bays. I bought a sata controller card (adaptec) and
> added it to the mix, adding two more drives.
>
> Everything works and all is accessible, but there is one annoying issue.
>
> When installing with anaconda, the 2 drives located on the add-on sata
> card are being listed as sda and sdb instead of going
> to the back of the line.
>
> I would rather my a and b drives be the 0 and 1 sata ports of the
> onboard controller, but it seems the add-on is taking priority.
>
> My only thought is to install without the 2 drives connected and then
> add them afterwords.
> But again, that makes no sense to have to do it that way.
>
> Is this just normal for the add on sata cards?
> If I add the drives to the system after I install it all, will linux
> barf on it and change the drive letters?
>
> I do not want my raid 1 mirror OS to be on sdc, sdd, and sde....it just
> looks weird.
----
get over it - it really doesn't matter and you seemingly want to do cartwheels & headstands to fight the system.

It may actually be as simple as re-ordering the drives in BIOS but only you can get into that.

If you install with the extra drives removed, you probably will have a difficult time booting once you put them back in (probably will have to 'grub-install /dev/sda' and edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to change the drive discovery).

If you install with the extra drives inserted and then remove them later, you may also run into the same issues with booting.

You really should see if you can fix the drive ordering within BIOS itself.

If not, you should probably just live your mirrors on drives other than /dev/sda & /dev/sdb

Craig

Bob Hoffman 09-29-2011 12:05 AM

add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Craig,

I think you misunderstand. It is just the lettering. The extra sata card
is not going to be booted from. The bios only sets the
boot order, not which drive letter linux is going to assign it.
it is the drive letters that just annoy me and was hoping for an easy
changeable fix. I was surprised anaconda installer
had no option to change them.

It is like installing windows on your f drive and having c and d as
storage drives...just rubs ya wrong.

It boots fine from sdc with or without card in it...it is centos
labeling based on how it looks at the hardware.
Apparently an add on sata card comes first in the order linux analyzes
the system.

Les Mikesell 09-29-2011 01:24 AM

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Bob Hoffman <bob@bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> Craig,
>
> I think you misunderstand. It is just the lettering. The extra sata card
> is not going to be booted from. The bios only sets the
> boot order, not which drive letter linux is going to assign it.
> it is the drive letters that just annoy me and was hoping for an easy
> changeable fix. I was surprised anaconda installer
> had no option to change them.
>
> It is like installing windows on your f drive and having c and d as
> storage drives...just rubs ya wrong.
>
> It boots fine from sdc with or without card in it...it is centos
> labeling based on how it looks at the hardware.
> Apparently an add on sata card comes first in the order linux analyzes
> the system.

If you are doing raid, once the partitions are set up you will only
see /dev/md? device names except in madam commands or when looking at
/proc/mdstat. And you can move the drives around later so the actual
device names would be different without affecting the md assemblies.
I think you are being a little picky.... You could always move the
controller cables around, but I'm not sure there is any guarantee that
the drives will be detected in the same order every time.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Bob Hoffman 09-29-2011 02:06 AM

add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Les Mikesell wrote

If you are doing raid, once the partitions are set up you will only
see /dev/md? device names except in madam commands or when looking at
/proc/mdstat. And you can move the drives around later so the actual
device names would be different without affecting the md assemblies.
I think you are being a little picky.... You could always move the
controller cables around, but I'm not sure there is any guarantee that
the drives will be detected in the same order every time.

I am just worried that it would affect some programming or scripting, but if that is not the case
then it will be fine....I hope.
I looked into the guts of etc and boot and grub...they proper drives are placed hd0 hd1 , etc...
Those things look good.

It just seems changing that lettering would be scary, guess linux uses them as kind of a virtual naming
convention while keeping the underlying info the same (hd0, etc..).

well, nothing I can do to change it I guess, so I will move on.

Thanks for the help all. Definitely an interesting thing to look at tonight.

bob

Keith Keller 09-29-2011 02:34 AM

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 08:05:53PM -0400, Bob Hoffman wrote:

> It is like installing windows on your f drive and having c and d as
> storage drives...just rubs ya wrong.

Fortunately, linux is not so braindead that the actual drive assignments
cause any problems. Just don't worry about it. The only time you might
experience problems is if the drives get different assignments later-- I
have seen this, for example, when doing a fairly major kernel update, if
drivers get loaded in a different order than previously. But this would
be something you'd look for after doing a kernel update, so it shouldn't
be a problem either way.

As Les already mentioned, nothing in CentOS will care that your boot
drive is sdc as long as it's properly configured to boot. It sounds
like it is working for you, so you should just leave the drive
assignments the way they are--it's not worth the effort to try to change
it, because it won't get you any benefit.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

John Doe 09-29-2011 09:04 AM

add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

From: Bob Hoffman <bob@bobhoffman.com>

> When installing with anaconda, the 2 drives located on the add-on sata
> card are being listed as sda and sdb instead of going
> to the back of the line.

Check in the bios if it proposes a ctrl detection order.

JD

Lamar Owen 09-29-2011 08:36 PM

On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 07:47:15 PM Bob Hoffman wrote:
> I do not want my raid 1 mirror OS to be on sdc, sdd, and sde....it just
> looks weird.

It's related to PCI enumeration order, and may not be changeable. You could try the add-on card in another slot.

However, if you think that's weird, I want you to note the portion of the output of mount below, and note the drive device my /boot is on (and yes, that is actually the real booting drive):

[root@www ~]# mount|grep boot
/dev/sdag1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
[root@www ~]# cat /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 (Santiago)
Kernel
on an m

[root@www ~]#

"David C. Miller" 09-29-2011 09:09 PM

add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

> On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 07:47:15 PM Bob Hoffman wrote:
> > I do not want my raid 1 mirror OS to be on sdc, sdd, and sde....it
> > just
> > looks weird.
>
> It's related to PCI enumeration order, and may not be changeable.
> You could try the add-on card in another slot.
>
> However, if you think that's weird, I want you to note the portion of
> the output of mount below, and note the drive device my /boot is on
> (and yes, that is actually the real booting drive):
>
> [root@www ~]# mount|grep boot
> /dev/sdag1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
> [root@www ~]# cat /etc/issue
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 (Santiago)
> Kernel
on an m

> [root@www ~]#

This type of issue is why relying on /dev/sdX is bad. Mounting based on uuid or label when available is best. Unfortunately, there are controller cards that present all disks as the same uuid. It makes using mdadm that can only see /dev/sdX a pain to use.

David.

Les Mikesell 09-29-2011 09:16 PM

add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM, David C. Miller
<millerdc@fusion.gat.com> wrote:

> This type of issue is why relying on /dev/sdX is bad. Mounting based on uuid or label when available is best. Unfortunately, there are controller cards that present all disks as the same uuid. It makes using mdadm that can only see /dev/sdX a pain to use.

So how do you propose getting a uuid or label on a disk in the first
place if you can't identify which is which physically? And how do you
know which to move when you want the content in some other box?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com