Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Scott Robbins

Default Fetchmail and Mutt help

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:32:44PM -0700, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I setup Fetchmail and wanted to use Mutt to read e-mail. I used to use
> Pine and I just am sick of GUI e-mail clients these days. Bloat,
> complication and unreliable. Pine was my first ever e-mail client. I
> prefer to use POP still as I want may mail on my machine at all times.

I much prefer getmail.

At any rate, you should probably set some sort of inbox in mutt.

I have my own page on mutt, that some folks find useful.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/mutt.html

Note that it's basically for mutt 1.5, and I think CentOS may still use
mutt 1.4 (Though KB Singh had a 1.5 rpm, IIRC--in my case, I wound up
building from source.)

Not sure how fetchmail works these days--with getmail, I hand it off to
maildrop to do the sorting, but it also offers the option of just
putting everything into /var/spool/mail or elsewhere.

Regardless, mutt usually offers to create a $HOME/Mail directory, but
will also look in /var/spool/mail. Hit c as in change directory, and it
will move around various places.

There is, if you're more comfortable with Pine, alpine, which I believe
is pretty much the same thing. (Based entirely on hearsay, haven't
used pine for years. )

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:32:44PM -0700, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Can anyone help me get setup? Also, can anyone point me how to make
> mutt look like this: http://linsec.ca/File:Muttscreen.jpg interms of
> the columns? IIRC there use to be a patch but that was so long ago I
> dont know if it even applies anymore.

Hrrm, that's probably the sidebar patch. Doubt it's included as default
in an rpm, though. I'd have to do some digging.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Scott Robbins

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 04:17:18PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:32:44PM -0700, Todd wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >

> > Can anyone help me get setup? Also, can anyone point me how to make
> > mutt look like this: http://linsec.ca/File:Muttscreen.jpg interms of
> > the columns? IIRC there use to be a patch but that was so long ago I
> > dont know if it even applies anymore.
>
> Hrrm, that's probably the sidebar patch. Doubt it's included as default
> in an rpm, though. I'd have to do some digging.

Further looking at the picture shows that the jpg links back to page
about mutt setup, including applying the sidebar patch.

http://linsec.ca/Using_mutt_on_OS_X#Applying_the_sidebar_patch

I think you'll just have to google something like
mutt-<your_version>-sidebar-patch.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Anya: I swear, I am just trying to find my necklace.
Willow: Well, did you try looking inside the sofa in hell?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Todd

Hi Scott,

>> I setup Fetchmail and wanted to use Mutt to read e-mail. I used to use
>> Pine and I just am sick of GUI e-mail clients these days. Bloat,
>> complication and unreliable. Pine was my first ever e-mail client. I
>> prefer to use POP still as I want may mail on my machine at all times.

> http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/mutt.html

Thanks, I am using 1.5.21.

>>Further looking at the picture shows that the jpg links back to page
>> about mutt setup, including applying the sidebar patch.
>>http://linsec.ca/Using_mutt_on_OS_X#Applying_the_sidebar_patch

Yup that is what I am using as a reference for parts. I will review
this more. It starts to get overly complicated and I wanted to make
sure the basics worked before I went further.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Todd wrote:

>>> I setup Fetchmail and wanted to use Mutt to read e-mail. I used to use
>>> Pine and I just am sick of GUI e-mail clients these days. Bloat,
>>> complication and unreliable. Pine was my first ever e-mail client. I
>>> prefer to use POP still as I want may mail on my machine at all times.
<snip>
I agree. I'm on the verge of going back to mutt. T'bird has *real*
problems. I'm running the version that comes with CentOS 5.6 (yeah, yeah,
I need to do an update to 5.7) at home, and my hosting provider is under a
DDoS attack, and I couldn't send out email. So I contacted them, and they
gave me a private fixed IP address for outbound SMTP. Worked when I did
it, but the next day, it would *not* send email; it kept trying the normal
SMTP server, even when I set the private IP as default. I had to delete
the normal one before it ever tried the IP.

Then there's 3,1,3 that comes with CentOS 6, and no matter what I do,
clicking on a link WILL NOT open it in a browser window or tab, 100% of
the time, I have to copy the link, and paste it in.

mark "maybe I'll put a GUI around mutt"

Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Les Mikesell

> Then there's 3,1,3 that comes with CentOS 6, and no matter what I do,
> clicking on a link WILL NOT open it in a browser window or tab, 100% of
> the time, I have to copy the link, and paste it in.

That sounded so strange that I installed thunderbird on a very, very
stock centos6 VM, pointed it to my gmail account via imap which it
mostly already know how to do, and re-read this thread so I could click
the link with the mutt info - and it opened it in firefox. So it's
something you've done to your own system...

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 AM
John Doe

From: "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us>

> it would *not* send email; it kept trying the normal
> SMTP server, even when I set the private IP as default. I had to delete
> the normal one before it ever tried the IP.

Happened to me too; apart from making it default, you have to check that
the outgoing server in the accounts preferences points to default and not
a specific server...

JD