Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
John Hodrien

Default is there a way to make the kernel see a new ethernet device without rebooting?

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Jon Detert wrote:

> I have a VMWare ESX server with virtual machines running CentOS. I want to
> add an ethernet interface to one of the CentOS virtual machines. VMWare
> allowed me to add a virtual NIC to the CentOS virtual machine while it was
> running. However, the CentOS o.s. cannot see the new NIC. Is there a
> command I can run to make the kernel aware of the new ethernet device? I
> don't want to reboot the CentOS o.s. if I don't have to

Adding a NIC to VMWare with a CentOS 6 guest (e1000) works just fine here. I
don't remember there being any problems with CentOS 5.

Does dmesg show evidence of the new device being attached?

jh

Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Jon Detert wrote:

> I wonder if it has to do with the type of NIC. In my case, vmware says it's of
> type 'flexible', and the CentOS o.s uses the 'pcnet32' driver for it.

Right. When I add an e1000 NIC in vSphere to the VM, I immediately see a
message in dmesg.

jh

Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Radu Radutiu

> I wonder if it has to do with the type of NIC. *In my case, vmware says it's of
> type 'flexible', and the CentOS o.s uses the 'pcnet32' driver for it.

Try:
modprobe pcnet32

or if the module is already loaded
rmmod pcnet32