Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Jon Detert

Default is there a way to make the kernel see a new ethernet device without rebooting?

I have a VMWare ESX server with virtual machines running CentOS. I want to add an ethernet interface to one of the CentOS virtual machines. VMWare allowed me to add a virtual NIC to the CentOS virtual machine while it was running. However, the CentOS o.s. cannot see the new NIC. Is there a command I can run to make the kernel aware of the new ethernet device? I don't want to reboot the CentOS o.s. if I don't have to

Thanks,

JD

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Jon Detert

> > I have a VMWare ESX server with virtual machines running CentOS. I
> > want to
> > add an ethernet interface to one of the CentOS virtual machines.
> > VMWare
> > allowed me to add a virtual NIC to the CentOS virtual machine while
> > it was
> > running. However, the CentOS o.s. cannot see the new NIC. Is
> > there a
> > command I can run to make the kernel aware of the new ethernet
> > device? I
> > don't want to reboot the CentOS o.s. if I don't have to
>
> Adding a NIC to VMWare with a CentOS 6 guest (e1000) works just fine
> here. I

Adding the NIC in VMWare works fine for me too. It's just that the guest
(CentOS) o.s. doesn't see the new NIC unless/until I reboot it.

> don't remember there being any problems with CentOS 5.
>
> Does dmesg show evidence of the new device being attached?

No.

I wonder if it has to do with the type of NIC. In my case, vmware says it's of
type 'flexible', and the CentOS o.s uses the 'pcnet32' driver for it.

- JD