Old 09-27-2011, 12:31 PM
John Hinton

Default Expunge Old Email

For those of you running mailservers on CentOS 6, what are the
suggestions for programs to expunge old email? For instance, deleting
email from a Spam folder that is 2 weeks old or older.

I see that Dovecot does have a solution, but was wondering about what
others have landed on.

My systems are basically Postfix, Dovecot using Maildir.

Thanks,
John Hinton

Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM
John Hinton

On 9/27/2011 8:31 AM, John Hinton wrote:
> For those of you running mailservers on CentOS 6, what are the
> suggestions for programs to expunge old email? For instance, deleting
> email from a Spam folder that is 2 weeks old or older.
>
> I see that Dovecot does have a solution, but was wondering about what
> others have landed on.
>
> My systems are basically Postfix, Dovecot using Maildir.

To answer myself--

At least some of the Dovecot 1.x Expunge Plug-in has made it into the
2.0 release... so no need to install/activate any plugins for this to work.

I'm running a cron once per day with the following command:

doveadm expunge -A mailbox Spam savedbefore 10d

There are a number of options to this command. The one above, looks in
all (-A) user's Maildirs for a Spam mailbox and deletes any older than
10 days.

So far so good! It is particular about permissions and you might have a
few things to clean up to get it working. It looks like if it trips, it
stops. I'm running this on two new CentOS 6 servers which don't have
many users yet... so not much spam yet... so not much debugging yet.
Early testing on personal accounts set at 2d did show successful removal.

As a side note... Since Outlook has chosen to pretty much hide and only
use the term Expunge to empty trash on IMAP accounts (and average email
users don't find it and don't know what expunge means).... We're seeing
a lot of trash left behind. A reinforcement of my opinion of M$
wisdom... Anyway, so we are now contemplating putting into place
automated trash email removal as well.... as much as I feel this is
outside of what should be good practices.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Craig White

On Sep 30, 2011, at 8:01 AM, John Hinton wrote:

> As a side note... Since Outlook has chosen to pretty much hide and only
> use the term Expunge to empty trash on IMAP accounts (and average email
> users don't find it and don't know what expunge means).... We're seeing
> a lot of trash left behind. A reinforcement of my opinion of M$
> wisdom... Anyway, so we are now contemplating putting into place
> automated trash email removal as well.... as much as I feel this is
> outside of what should be good practices.
----
Outlook is a terrible IMAP client and it seems that it is not accidental that Microsoft makes it a poor IMAP client. Outlook Express functions much better with IMAP so it's clear that Microsoft can make it work.

Expunging is the least of the problems when using Outlook on an IMAP server. Outlook is a challenge to use with roaming profiles, stored PST files on networked volumes, store 'sent' and 'drafts' anywhere other than the local PST, auto-archive on yet another local pst store, etc are far more significant issues than expunging.

Craig

Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Duncan Brown

On 27/09/2011 13:31, John Hinton wrote:
> For those of you running mailservers on CentOS 6, what are the
> suggestions for programs to expunge old email? For instance, deleting
> email from a Spam folder that is 2 weeks old or older.
>
> I see that Dovecot does have a solution, but was wondering about what
> others have landed on.
>
> My systems are basically Postfix, Dovecot using Maildir.
>
> Thanks,
> John Hinton
I just use a daily cron job with regex, never had much luck with
dovecots method:

# delete 30 day old mails from Trash
find /var/mail/ -regex '.*/.(Trash|Junk)(/.*)?/(cur|new)/.*'
-type f -ctime +30 -exec rm '{}' ;

# delete 200 day old mails from mailinglists
find /var/mail/ -regex
'.*/.(Fedora|Atrpms|Centos|Mythtv)(/.*)?/(cur|new)/.*' -type
f -ctime +200 -exec rm '{}' ;

cheers

Dunc

Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 08:31 -0400, John Hinton wrote:
> For those of you running mailservers on CentOS 6, what are the
> suggestions for programs to expunge old email? For instance, deleting
> email from a Spam folder that is 2 weeks old or older.
> I see that Dovecot does have a solution, but was wondering about what
> others have landed on.

Cyrus IMAP supports an "expire" annotation on folders that allows
automatic cycling out of messages after the indicated number of days.

<http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/>