Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 AM
Muhammad Panji

Default RTL8111/8168B always 100mbps

Dear All,
I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168B NIC. from lspci -vv :

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

It is detected, but why the speed is always 100Mbps, already change
cable but still no luck. I use ethtool and from the output it seems
that system know that this NIC support gigabit speed :

******* Supported link modes:** 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
******************************* 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
******************************* 1000baseT/Full
******* Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
******* Advertised link modes:* 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
******************************* 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
******************************* 1000baseT/Full

have change the driver r8169 with r8168 and follow the guide on CentOS
wiki http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
but still it only get 100Mbps speed.

I user kernel 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 and 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5-PAE. on
another machine with the same specs I use kernel 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5
and the gigabit speed works.

Any idea why this happened and how to solve it? Thank you.

-----
Muhammad Panji
http://www.panji.web.id* * * * * * * * * * * ** http://www.kurungsiku.com
http://sumodirjo.wordpress.com* * * * * http://www.kurungsiku.web.id

http://www.linuxbox.web.id

Old 09-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 9/27/11, Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168B NIC. from lspci -vv :
>
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
>
> It is detected, but why the speed is always 100Mbps, already change
> cable but still no luck. I use ethtool and from the output it seems
> that system know that this NIC support gigabit speed :

What network switch is this connected to? Does it work if you disable
auto-negotiation and force the link speed to 1Gbps?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 09/27/2011 05:15 AM, Muhammad Panji wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168B NIC. from lspci -vv :
>
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
>
> It is detected, but why the speed is always 100Mbps, already change
> cable but still no luck. I use ethtool and from the output it seems
> that system know that this NIC support gigabit speed :
>

> Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> 1000baseT/Full
> Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
> Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> 1000baseT/Full
>
> have change the driver r8169 with r8168 and follow the guide on CentOS
> wiki http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
> but still it only get 100Mbps speed.
>
> I user kernel 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 and 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5-PAE. on
> another machine with the same specs I use kernel 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5
> and the gigabit speed works.
>
> Any idea why this happened and how to solve it? Thank you.
> Regards,

If your system is using the r8169 driver for this device then you'll
probably need a different driver to get it working? I've got this in my
Fedora 15 system and I needed to manually install the r8168 driver to make
things work.

Check this out for the details:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Realtek_8168

Regards,
Dennis

Old 09-27-2011, 01:44 PM
John Doe

From: Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com>

> I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168B NIC. from lspci -vv :
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
> It is detected, but why the speed is always 100Mbps, already change
> cable but still no luck. I use ethtool and from the output it seems
> that system know that this NIC support gigabit speed :
> have change the driver r8169 with r8168 and follow the guide on CentOS
> wiki http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b
> but still it only get 100Mbps speed.

Same controller here... and I always get downgraded to 100Mbps...
I am using kmod-r8168-8.025.00-1
I have other PCs connected to the same switch and they are in 1000Mbps...

# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
******* Supported ports: [ TP ]
******* Supported link modes:** 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
******************************* 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
******************************* 1000baseT/Full
******* Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
******* Advertised link modes:* 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
******************************* 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
******************************* 1000baseT/Full
******* Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
******* Speed: 100Mb/s
******* Duplex: Full
******* Port: Twisted Pair
******* PHYAD: 0
******* Transceiver: internal
******* Auto-negotiation: on
******* Supports Wake-on: pumbg
******* Wake-on: g
******* Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
******* Link detected: yes

I tried:
# ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off advertise 0x020
but auto-negotiation stays on and I only get 100Mbps...

I tried:
# ethtool -s eth0 duplex full autoneg off advertise 0x020
auto-negotiation is off but nothing change...

JD

Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM

John Doe wrote:
> From: Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com>
>
>> I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168B NIC. from lspci -vv :
>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
>> It is detected, but why the speed is always 100Mbps, already change
<snip>
> I tried:
> # ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off advertise 0x020
> but auto-negotiation stays on and I only get 100Mbps...
>
> I tried:
> # ethtool -s eth0 duplex full autoneg off advertise 0x020
> auto-negotiation is off but nothing change...

I was working on a similar problem (turned out to be our network switch),
but *did* find that order of the ethtool command is significant: you
*MUST* have autoneg off as the first parameter; that is, try
# ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full advertise 0x020

mark

Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
John Doe

From: "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us>

> I was working on a similar problem (turned out to be our network switch),
> but *did* find that order of the ethtool command is significant: you
> *MUST* have autoneg off as the first parameter; that is, try
> # ethtool -s eth0* autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full advertise 0x020

Tried that but I still get autoneg on... and 100Mbps.
In fact, the only way to have autoneg really off seems to not include "speed 1000"...
But if I do not put "speed 1000", nothing changes.
And as soon as I put "speed 1000", autoneg is back on... even with "autoneg off" in front...

JD

Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Brian Mathis

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>> From: Muhammad Panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com>
>>
>>> I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168B NIC. from lspci -vv :
>>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>>> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
>>> It is detected, but why the speed is always 100Mbps, already change
> <snip>
>> I tried:
>> # ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off advertise 0x020
>> but auto-negotiation stays on and I only get 100Mbps...
>>
>> I tried:
>> # ethtool -s eth0 duplex full autoneg off advertise 0x020
>> auto-negotiation is off but nothing change...
>
> I was working on a similar problem (turned out to be our network switch),
> but *did* find that order of the ethtool command is significant: you
> *MUST* have autoneg off as the first parameter; that is, try
> # ethtool -s eth0 *autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full advertise 0x020
>
> * * *mark

Auto-negotiation is a required part of the 1000Gb protocol. You
cannot turn it off.

In the olden days there were a few problems with it, and some people's
reaction to every problem was to turn it off (and many made it the
default setting). Some still repeat the mantra as if it is gospel,
but they are relics of a bygone era. If your first reaction is to
disable auto-negotioation, please update your ways. We are a decade
into the 21st century, after all.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-

Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM

John Doe wrote:
> From: "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us>
>
>> I was working on a similar problem (turned out to be our network
>> switch),
>> but *did* find that order of the ethtool command is significant: you
>> *MUST* have autoneg off as the first parameter; that is, try
>> # ethtool -s eth0* autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full advertise 0x020
>
> Tried that but I still get autoneg on... and 100Mbps.
> In fact, the only way to have autoneg really off seems to not include
> "speed 1000"...
> But if I do not put "speed 1000", nothing changes.
> And as soon as I put "speed 1000", autoneg is back on... even with
> "autoneg off" in front...

Dumb question: have you tried plugging any other system with a 1Gb NIC
into that port on the switch?

mark

Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
John Doe

From: Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos@betteradmin.com>

> If your first reaction is to disable auto-negotioation, please
> update your ways.* We are a decade into the 21st century, after all.

Sure, I can update my ways.
I do want to live into the 21st century!* ^_^
But that does not solve this annoying auto-negotiation bug...

JD

Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Les Mikesell

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos@betteradmin.com>
>
>> If your first reaction is to disable auto-negotioation, please
>> update your ways.* We are a decade into the 21st century, after all.
>
> Sure, I can update my ways.
> I do want to live into the 21st century!* ^_^
> But that does not solve this annoying auto-negotiation bug...

Both sides have to negotiate. The usual lingering problem is that
someone configured the switch not to.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com