Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM
"TE Dukes"

Default x86_64.rpm v. i686.rpm

Just curious why there are two types of rpms for some packages. Just got my
first 64 bit machine. Which should I be installing? Both?

TIA

Eddie

Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Scott Silva

on 9/26/2011 4:36 PM TE Dukes spake the following:
> Just curious why there are two types of rpms for some packages. Just got my
> first 64 bit machine. Which should I be installing? Both?
>
> TIA
>
> Eddie
Because a 64 bit machine can also run 32 bit programs. So the default seems to
pull in several 32 bit rpms also... It doesn't really hurt to let both
install, it just takes space.