Old 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
"Graham Johnston"

Default External Dial-up Modem

I am having an issue with Centos 6 and an external USRobotics modem. We
use the modem as part of a last resort SMS paging system.

Across multiple Dell servers, different models, I can't not get the
modem to respond to simple AT commands while using Minicom. At the same
time if I connect the server to a console port on a switch I can
successfully access the switches serial console. So I know the serial
port itself is working. The modem still works fine if connected to a
Centos 5 server.

Any thoughts?

Graham Johnston

Network Planner
Westman Communications Group
204.717.2829

johnstong@westmancom.com <mailto:johnstong@westmancom.com>

P think green; don't print this email.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Bill Campbell

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011, Graham Johnston wrote:
>I am having an issue with Centos 6 and an external USRobotics modem. We
>use the modem as part of a last resort SMS paging system.
>
>Across multiple Dell servers, different models, I can't not get the
>modem to respond to simple AT commands while using Minicom. At the same
>time if I connect the server to a console port on a switch I can
>successfully access the switches serial console. So I know the serial
>port itself is working. The modem still works fine if connected to a
>Centos 5 server.
>
>Any thoughts?

Which device are you using for the serial connection. It should be
/dev/ttyS0 or similar to provide the correct modem control signals. The
modem probably won't respond unless the DTR (Data Terminal Ready) line is
up. It's been quite a while since I had to look at the modems on our
system that runs HylaFAX and dialup connections,

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186 Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

The only freedom which deserves the name, is that of pursuing our own good
in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs,
or impede their efforts to obtain it. -- John Stuart Mill, 1859

Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Graham Johnston wrote:
> I am having an issue with Centos 6 and an external USRobotics modem. We
> use the modem as part of a last resort SMS paging system.
>
> Across multiple Dell servers, different models, I can't not get the
> modem to respond to simple AT commands while using Minicom. At the same
> time if I connect the server to a console port on a switch I can
> successfully access the switches serial console. So I know the serial
> port itself is working. The modem still works fine if connected to a
> Centos 5 server.

I'd think that there may be some default settings in minicom that need to
be different for that specific modem.

mark

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Graham Johnston
<johnstong@westmancom.com> wrote:
> I am having an issue with Centos 6 and an external USRobotics modem. *We
> use the modem as part of a last resort SMS paging system.
>

> Across multiple Dell servers, different models, I can't not get the
> modem to respond to simple AT commands while using Minicom. *At the same
> time if I connect the server to a console port on a switch I can
> successfully access the switches serial console. *So I know the serial
> port itself is working. *The modem still works fine if connected to a
> Centos 5 server.

I normally use ckermit (available from epel) for serial port access
because you can 'set carrier off' before connect so it doesn't hang
waiting for the carrier detect line to come up and because it has a
scripting language that works the same over tcp (handy if you move
your modems to a terminal server). I assume you know that the cable
needs to be different for modem and console connections. You might
also loop DTR to DCD, but then you won't know when the connections
drop.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com