Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Todd

Default SSH in and my terminal keystrokes are weird.......

Hi All,
I upgraded to OS X 10.7 on my laptop and when I try to ssh into my servers and do edits it seems my backspace is now weird. When I backspace it skips all around, inserts what looks to be special characters, etc. If I save and go back in the file edited right, but due to all the inserted garbage and skipping around of the cursor I cant tell at that time if what I did worked.

I dont recall this happening on Snow Leopard at all, but we did also upgrade to CentOS 6 and I honestly have no idea where this issue would be.
Can anyone provide any thoughts?

Todd

Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 09/25/2011 02:05 PM, Todd wrote:
> I upgraded to OS X 10.7 on my laptop and when I try to ssh into my servers
> and do edits it seems my backspace is now weird

This is something you need to fix on the terminal emulator you're using.
Apparently the backspace code your terminal is sending now is not the
correct one. Try to find any option regarding backspace (or type of
terminal) in your terminal emulator.

Meanwhile, while you fix this, you can connect to the server and execute:

stty erase <press-BACKSPACE>

...to get proper backspace.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 11:05 -0700, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I upgraded to OS X 10.7 on my laptop and when I try to ssh into my
> servers and do edits it seems my backspace is now weird. When I
> backspace it skips all around, inserts what looks to be special
> characters, etc. If I save and go back in the file edited right, but
> due to all the inserted garbage and skipping around of the cursor I
> cant tell at that time if what I did worked.
>

> I dont recall this happening on Snow Leopard at all, but we did also
> upgrade to CentOS 6 and I honestly have no idea where this issue would
> be.
>

> Can anyone provide any thoughts?
----
The sentiments I expressed to my boss was that I wanted to replace the
Macintosh on my Desk with Linux - no dice he said.

Macintosh key bindings are just weird.

iTerm2 is a better solution (not perfect... just much better than
Terminal.app and fewer time spent in the penalty box for using Mac OS X.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Todd

Craig,
iTerm2 is a better solution (not perfect... just much better than

Terminal.app and fewer time spent in the penalty box for using Mac OS X.
Thanks, this actually solved everything. All the terminal issues I was having.
Best,
-Jason

Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Les Mikesell

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Todd <slackmoehrle.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig,
>>
>> iTerm2 is a better solution (not perfect... just much better than
>> Terminal.app and fewer time spent in the penalty box for using Mac OS X.
>
> Thanks, this actually solved everything. All the terminal issues I was
> having.

Depending on what you are doing, you might also like running freenx on
the server and using the NX client from www.nomachine.com to have a
full linux GUI desktop on the Mac - which works pretty well even if
you just open terminal windows in it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 22:58 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Todd <slackmoehrle.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Craig,
> >>
> >> iTerm2 is a better solution (not perfect... just much better than
> >> Terminal.app and fewer time spent in the penalty box for using Mac OS X.
> >
> > Thanks, this actually solved everything. All the terminal issues I was
> > having.
>
> Depending on what you are doing, you might also like running freenx on
> the server and using the NX client from www.nomachine.com to have a
> full linux GUI desktop on the Mac - which works pretty well even if
> you just open terminal windows in it.
----
and I do that too but still Macintosh key bindings get in the way and
I've had to go with a modified ~/.Xmodmap to approach my expectations.

Also the screen dimensioning of the No Machine Macintosh client just
seems not to work at all and I end up with a full screen connection
despite any attempts at configuration which then requires an arbitrary
resizing.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Les Mikesell

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

>> Depending on what you are doing, you might also like running freenx on
>> the server and using the NX client from www.nomachine.com to have a
>> full linux GUI desktop on the Mac - which works pretty well even if
>> you just open terminal windows in it.
> ----
> and I do that too but still Macintosh key bindings get in the way and
> I've had to go with a modified ~/.Xmodmap to approach my expectations.
>
> Also the screen dimensioning of the No Machine Macintosh client just
> seems not to work at all and I end up with a full screen connection
> despite any attempts at configuration which then requires an arbitrary
> resizing.

Mine seem to open at the previous session size (normally I am
re-connecting to a session originally started from a windows NX
client) but the mac version does permit resizing where windows only
snaps to the specified or available size and can't be changed without
reconnecting. The only really odd thing I see is that sometimes the
mac window behavior (must click on title bar to focus, etc.) sticks
even when the session is picked up under windows again.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com