Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default ssh reverse DNS failure

I use dyndns's (free) service to access a remote machine
with a dynamic IP address.
The machine is running under CentOS-6.0.

I can ssh into the address given me by dyndns (*.homelinux.com),
but when I do this I get the warning
"reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for" *
"failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!"

This doesn't really matter,
as I normally use OpenVPN for accessing this site -
the dyndns method is a safety precaution in case openvpn doesn't work.

But I'm wondering if it is possible to stop the warning?
I've tried various recipes google gave me,
eg adding "UseDNS no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the remote machine
(and re-starting sshd),
but none of them has worked,

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
> I use dyndns's (free) service to access a remote machine
> with a dynamic IP address.
> The machine is running under CentOS-6.0.
>
> I can ssh into the address given me by dyndns (*.homelinux.com),
> but when I do this I get the warning
> "reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for" *
> *"failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!"
>
> This doesn't really matter,
> as I normally use OpenVPN for accessing this site -
> the dyndns method is a safety precaution in case openvpn doesn't work.
>
> But I'm wondering if it is possible to stop the warning?
> I've tried various recipes google gave me,
> eg adding "UseDNS no" to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the remote machine
> (and re-starting sshd),
> but none of them has worked,
>

> --

Add the DynDNS hostnane to the localmachine, i.e:

192.168.0.10 mybox.homelinux.net

and see if that helps?

--
Kind Regards