Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 AM
"Michel Donais"

Default I can't connect to /dev/ttyS0

The computer is an HP Proliant DC7600S.
O/S: Centos 5.7

I try to connect minicom or Hylafax to /dev/ttyS0 and I can't reach the
modem.

Can somebody had this problem and find a solution?

---
Michel Donais

Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 AM
"James A. Peltier"

| I try to connect minicom or Hylafax to /dev/ttyS0 and I can't reach
| the
| modem.
|
| Can somebody had this problem and find a solution?
|

| ---
| Michel Donais

It's a permissions issue. Either add the users in question to the group owning /dev/ttyS0 or you need to create a device override script which changes the ownership of the file each time the system boots.

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group

Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Keith Roberts

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Michel Donais wrote:

> From: Michel Donais <donais@telupton.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] I can't connect to /dev/ttyS0
>
> The computer is an HP Proliant DC7600S.
> O/S: Centos 5.7
>
> I try to connect minicom or Hylafax to /dev/ttyS0 and I can't reach the
> modem.
>
> Can somebody had this problem and find a solution?

Hello Michel.

You first need to double-check that /dev/ttyS0 is actually
the correct serial COM port you have the modem connected to.

I've know the COM port numbers to mysteriously change
for some reason. My APC UPS was connected and working on
/dev/ttyS1 and it stopped working recently. The serial COM
port has changed for some reason to /dev/ttyS0. So I had to
edit the config file and stop and restart apcupsd, and it's
working fine again now.

Please look under System->Hardware and then click the
16550A-compatible COM port in the LH pane.

Then in the RH pane click on 'Advanced', and find the
serial.device string or linux.device_file.

This will be something like:

linux.device_file strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
serial.device strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3

Make sure this is the same as what you are trying to connect to.

Here's a screenshot of Device Manager showing my COM port
settings:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2a7h1sp.jpg

If nothing shows under Device Manager settings, please check
you have your serial COM ports turned on in your BIOS
settings at reboot time

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Old 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
"Michel Donais"

> You first need to double-check that /dev/ttyS0 is actually
> the correct serial COM port you have the modem connected to.
>
> Please look under System->Hardware and then click the
> 16550A-compatible COM port in the LH pane.
>
> Then in the RH pane click on 'Advanced', and find the
> serial.device string or linux.device_file.
>
> This will be something like:
>
> linux.device_file strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
> serial.device strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
>
> Make sure this is the same as what you are trying to connect to.

Thank's Keith

I got it working

---
Michel Donais

Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Michel Donais wrote:

> From: Michel Donais <donais@telupton.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] I can't connect to /dev/ttyS0
>
>> You first need to double-check that /dev/ttyS0 is actually
>> the correct serial COM port you have the modem connected to.
>>
>> Please look under System->Hardware and then click the
>> 16550A-compatible COM port in the LH pane.
>>
>> Then in the RH pane click on 'Advanced', and find the
>> serial.device string or linux.device_file.
>>
>> This will be something like:
>>
>> linux.device_file strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
>> serial.device strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
>>
>> Make sure this is the same as what you are trying to connect to.
>
> Thank's Keith
>
> I got it working

Hi Michael.

Please can you share with us what the reason was for the
problem, so others with similar problems can be enlighted,
including myself?

Kind Regards,

Keith

Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
"Michel Donais"

> You first need to double-check that /dev/ttyS0 is actually
> the correct serial COM port you have the modem connected to.

> Please look under System->Hardware and then click the 16550A-compatible
> COM port in the LH pane.

> Then in the RH pane click on 'Advanced', and find the serial.device string
> or linux.device_file.

> This will be something like:
> linux.device_file strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3 serial.device
> strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3

> Please can you share with us what the reason was for the
> problem, so others with similar problems can be enlighted,
> including myself?

Well it's a bit ennoying.
I've done all the given check list and got nearly no answer for a solution.
So I decided to open the box to see that the serial device connector was
partly unplug from the mother board; so it was the source of my problem.

I put it back in palce and it was done.

---
Michel Donais

Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Michel Donais wrote:

> From: Michel Donais <donais@telupton.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] I can't connect to /dev/ttyS0
>
>> You first need to double-check that /dev/ttyS0 is actually
>> the correct serial COM port you have the modem connected to.
>
>> Please look under System->Hardware and then click the 16550A-compatible
>> COM port in the LH pane.
>
>> Then in the RH pane click on 'Advanced', and find the serial.device string
>> or linux.device_file.
>
>> This will be something like:
>> linux.device_file strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3 serial.device
>> strlist /dev/ttySx where x == 0|1|2|3
>
>> Please can you share with us what the reason was for the
>> problem, so others with similar problems can be enlighted,
>> including myself?
>
> Well it's a bit ennoying.
> I've done all the given check list and got nearly no answer for a solution.
> So I decided to open the box to see that the serial device connector was
> partly unplug from the mother board; so it was the source of my problem.
>
> I put it back in palce and it was done.

Ah - Thanks for that Michel - very informative. That's
probably one of the last tings I would have taken a look at.

So it was actually a hardware problem - not a software one.

I'm Very pleased you were able to identify and fix the
problem