Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 AM
"TE Dukes"

Default 6.1 Release

OK,

So how can we help getting CentOS 6.1 released? This is a "Community"
project. I'm not a programmer, IT person but I do ask a lot of help from
this list. What do we need to do or how can the 'average person' help? Can
you send us some files to test? What? I'd like to help but don't know how.

Eddie

Old 09-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM, TE Dukes <tdukes@palmettoshopper.com> wrote:
> So how can we help getting CentOS 6.1 released? This is a "Community"
> project. I'm not a programmer, IT person but I do ask a lot of help from
> this list. What do we need to do or how can the 'average person' help? Can
> you send us some files to test? What? I'd like to help but don't know how.

I'm average person too and the best thing we can do is to be
appreciative of the hardwork from Centos team, helping in forum /
maillist, etc.
Donation ($$ or hardware) would also be nice.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:44 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 9/24/11, TE Dukes <tdukes@palmettoshopper.com> wrote:
> OK,
>
> So how can we help getting CentOS 6.1 released? This is a "Community"
> project. I'm not a programmer, IT person but I do ask a lot of help from
> this list. What do we need to do or how can the 'average person' help? Can
> you send us some files to test? What? I'd like to help but don't know how.

Based on what I remember of past responses, the short answer is: nothing.

By the time the devs are already spinning the release, they don't have
time to get new people familiarized with the process so they are only
willing to do it during the lull period between releases.

You could start by getting familiar with development process by taking
on a specific module as a personal interest. Maybe starting from doing
a howto/wiki, then beta testing new releases for that module, moving
on to submitting patches and by the end of a couple of years you would
probably be expert enough to help take on the entire module for CentOS
7. But this of course won't help get 6.1 out the door faster.

Besides that, the average person could make the next release better
(but not faster) by testing the RHEL beta or Fedora, filing bug
reports and generally make the whole distribution better. But this
won't get CentOS out the door faster.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 09/24/2011 03:44 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> By the time the devs are already spinning the release, they don't have
> time to get new people familiarized with the process so they are only
> willing to do it during the lull period between releases.

one thing that always helps, and can be done totally out of band - with
results that directly impact what is coming through is : write tests.

A good place to start is : http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/AutomatedTests

And remember, you can write them in bash too ( which is what most of
them are in right now ).

Pick an area of the distro you care about the most, write a few tests
around individual rpms to check that they work, and have the right sort
of functionality. then move onto doing more 'role' level stuff.

- KB