Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Darrell Esau

Default Building custom installation media

Hi,
I'm looking for "the best" way to do a custom installation from CD/DVD media.
My company sells hardware appliances with our software pre-loaded. *Doing so requires that we ship an ISO installation media to the hardware manufacturer who installs it onto the boxes, then ships them out.

We're currently using a solution that will no longer work for us going forward, and we would like to switch to a CentOS based OS with some of our software installed on top, with various configuration changes.

What's the best way to do this?
I've looked at Kickstart, and it looks pretty good -- probably will work perfectly for us assuming my initial glance-through is correct.

Is there another method I should consider?
If not -- using Kickstart, how do I add some custom software? *Should I create RPMs and add them to the CentOS installation tree? *I want everything to be on the media, not downloaded from a yum repository.

Thanks!-d

Old 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM

Darrell Esau wrote:
> My company sells hardware appliances with our software pre-loaded. Doing
> so requires that we ship an ISO installation media to the hardware
> manufacturer who installs it onto the boxes, then ships them out.
>
> We're currently using a solution that will no longer work for us going
> forward, and we would like to switch to a CentOS based OS with some of our
> software installed on top, with various configuration changes.
<snip>
> I've looked at Kickstart, and it looks pretty good -- probably will work
<snip>
> Is there another method I should consider?

Nope - use that.

> If not -- using Kickstart, how do I add some custom software? Should I
> create RPMs and add them to the CentOS installation tree? I want
> everything to be on the media, not downloaded from a yum repository.

Make an rpm of your software, and you can just stuff it into the tree;
maybe make an addons directory, and put it in there.

mark