FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Jure Pečar
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

Hello,

I seem to recall from my redhat5/6/7 days that certain installation methods used for kickstarting only invoked text mode install. Now I read that graphical install is default in kickstart on el5/6. However, in my test environment (with older HP DL140G3) I only get text mode install up, even if I specify graphical in kickstart file, with both nfs and http install methods. There's no clues on third console, only an info message about display mode being set to 't'.

Any clues what am I missing?

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org
http://f5j.eu
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM
John Hodrien
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Jure Pečar wrote:


Hello,

I seem to recall from my redhat5/6/7 days that certain installation methods
used for kickstarting only invoked text mode install. Now I read that
graphical install is default in kickstart on el5/6. However, in my test
environment (with older HP DL140G3) I only get text mode install up, even if
I specify graphical in kickstart file, with both nfs and http install
methods. There's no clues on third console, only an info message about
display mode being set to 't'.

Any clues what am I missing?


Does it just not like your graphics card?

jh_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Jure Pečar
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:00:39 +0100 (BST)
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien@leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Jure Pečar wrote:
>
> > Any clues what am I missing?
>
> Does it just not like your graphics card?

No, it works in gfx mode when installing from cd/usb. That MGA G200 is more than capable of running X (have fond memories of even older mga cards).


--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org
http://f5j.eu
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM
John Hodrien
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Jure Pečar wrote:


On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:00:39 +0100 (BST)
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien@leeds.ac.uk> wrote:


On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Jure Pečar wrote:

> Any clues what am I missing?

Does it just not like your graphics card?


No, it works in gfx mode when installing from cd/usb. That MGA G200 is more
than capable of running X (have fond memories of even older mga cards).


Low memory? There's a minimum memory requirement that might be higher for
network installs. G200s were lovely little graphics cards in their day.

jh_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Eric Sisolak
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Jure Pečar <pegasus@nerv.eu.org> wrote:


I seem to recall from my redhat5/6/7 days that certain installation methods used for kickstarting only invoked text mode install. Now I read that graphical install is default in kickstart on el5/6. However, in my test environment (with older HP DL140G3) I only get text mode install up, even if I specify graphical in kickstart file, with both nfs and http install methods. There's no clues on third console, only an info message about display mode being set to 't'.




Any clues what am I missing?


--


Jure Pečar


This is usually caused by not having enough RAM.* I think for el5 you need either 512 or 768MB and for el6 it is more like 1GB (IIRC).

When this happens Anaconda will spit out a message to the effect that it is falling back to text right before starting text mode.* Not sure if it gets logged anywhere other than stdout.


--Eric

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On 9/24/11, Eric Sisolak <haldir.junk@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is usually caused by not having enough RAM. I think for el5 you need
> either 512 or 768MB and for el6 it is more like 1GB (IIRC).

Should be 768MB for EL6 based on my recent EL6 VM installation. It
just seem rather silly that the installation requires about 3x more
memory than the 256MB required for actual operations.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Jure Pečar
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:50:24 +0800
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/24/11, Eric Sisolak <haldir.junk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is usually caused by not having enough RAM. I think for el5 you
> > need either 512 or 768MB and for el6 it is more like 1GB (IIRC).
>
> Should be 768MB for EL6 based on my recent EL6 VM installation. It
> just seem rather silly that the installation requires about 3x more
> memory than the 256MB required for actual operations.

Yes, I have that checked. My test machine is not a VM and has 2GB of
memory, which should be enough.

Any other ideas?


--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org
http://f5j.eu
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Jure Pečar
 
Default kickstart: gfx vs. txt mode

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:54:08 +0200
Jure Pečar <pegasus@nerv.eu.org> wrote:

> Any other ideas?

I figured it out - cobbler sticks "text" by default in pxelinux.cfg kernel options. You have to remove it from /etc/cobbler/settings and then it does what I expected it to do.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org
http://f5j.eu
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org