Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

Default Problems with Intel Ethernet and module e1000e

> Volker Poplawski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>>
>> The device eth0 suddenly stops working i.e. no more networking. When I
>> do ifconfig from console I get
>
> Do you have either another port on the box, or can you swap in another NIC?

Probably related to this:
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5034

This should be fixed in the 6.1 kernel and until that is released for
centos you can install the Scientific Linux kernel package.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Volker Poplawski

On 23.09.2011 16:42, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 04:35 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Volker Poplawski wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>>>
>>> The device eth0 suddenly stops working i.e. no more networking. When I
>>> do ifconfig from console I get
>>
>> Do you have either another port on the box, or can you swap in another NIC?
>
> Probably related to this:
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5034
>
> This should be fixed in the 6.1 kernel and until that is released for
> centos you can install the Scientific Linux kernel package.

Not exactly the same as my problem, but likely related.

The kernel rpm of Scientific Linux 6.1 installed without problems. Let's
see how this works out.

Thanks
.....Volker

Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

On 9/23/11, Volker Poplawski <volker@openbios.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>
> The device eth0 suddenly stops working i.e. no more networking. When I
> do ifconfig from console I get
.
.
.
> Bringing down the interface with ifconfig eth0 down and then ifconfig
> eth0 up does not help. A reboot gets the interface back to normal. The
> problem returns after some minutes, hours or a day.

I had the same problem with an Intel Gigabit NIC and the e1000 module
just last week on a fresh CentOS 6.0 install. Network will die for no
explicable reason and fixable only by reboot.

Problem was solved by following one of the threads in the CentOS forum
IIRC, using the elrepo kmod drivers.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
John Doe

From: Volker Poplawski <volker@openbios.org>

> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.

I had pbms with my Intel 1000e too.
Installed elrepo's kmod-e1000e and so far so good...

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-e1000e

JD

Old 09-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Patrick Lists

On 09/23/2011 12:54 PM, Volker Poplawski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.

I have also had problems with an Intel Gbit nic in a Dell Optiplex 760
using the e1000 module. If it would come up it would come up at 100Mbit
speed. Only unplugging the LAN cable en reinserting it in the switch
would sometimes result in the proper 1Gb speed. After replacing the 3Com
Gbit switch with a DLink Gbit switch things started to work ok.

As suggested, you could try out the e1000 kernel module form elrepo (if
it works, good for you) but you may want to look into the switch too.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 26 September 2011 13:54, Patrick Lists <centos-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 12:54 PM, Volker Poplawski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>
> I have also had problems with an Intel Gbit nic in a Dell Optiplex 760
> using the e1000 module. If it would come up it would come up at 100Mbit
> speed. Only unplugging the LAN cable en reinserting it in the switch
> would sometimes result in the proper 1Gb speed. After replacing the 3Com
> Gbit switch with a DLink Gbit switch things started to work ok.
The fact that once you had changed to an other switch it had started
to work points the blame to the 3Com switch. Funnily enough, about 10
years ago I would get the same kind of issues with 3Com network cards
and switches talking to each other (on 100Mbit!). Disabling the
auto-handshake and forcing the link to a particular speed would fix
the problem.

Try forcing the link speed with ethtool or similar utilities.
"What part of 'ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn'
don't you understand?"

Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 12:54 PM, Volker Poplawski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>
> I have also had problems with an Intel Gbit nic in a Dell Optiplex 760
> using the e1000 module. If it would come up it would come up at 100Mbit
> speed. Only unplugging the LAN cable en reinserting it in the switch
> would sometimes result in the proper 1Gb speed. After replacing the 3Com
> Gbit switch with a DLink Gbit switch things started to work ok.
>
> As suggested, you could try out the e1000 kernel module form elrepo (if
> it works, good for you) but you may want to look into the switch too.

Hmmm, we had a problem like that, but in our case, it was the NIC. If
someone's already asked this - I didn't read the list over the weekend -
ignore the request, but if not, while it's not working, what's the o/p of
ethtool eth<whatever>

mark

Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Micky L Martin

In our case, it was the driver.Google*e1000e-1.6.2.tar.gz

Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Volker Poplawski

On 26.09.2011 14:40, John Doe wrote:
> From: Volker Poplawski<volker@openbios.org>
>
>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>
> I had pbms with my Intel 1000e too.
> Installed elrepo's kmod-e1000e and so far so good...
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-e1000e

Follow up:

Also installed elrepo's e1000e from above url.

No problems so far.

Regards
.....Volker

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 10/04/2011 03:54 PM, Volker Poplawski wrote:
> On 26.09.2011 14:40, John Doe wrote:
>> From: Volker Poplawski<volker@openbios.org>
>>
>>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>>
>> I had pbms with my Intel 1000e too.
>> Installed elrepo's kmod-e1000e and so far so good...
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-e1000e
>
> Follow up:
>
> Also installed elrepo's e1000e from above url.
>
> No problems so far.

Activating the CR repo and updating the kernel might also fix any issues
with the e1000e driver (that did the trick for me).

Regards,
Dennis