Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Steve Campbell

Default PostgreSQL database design tool

Been thinking about playing with PostgreSQL. When I did my research, on
the PostgreSQL site, there were a few tools they "recommended" for
design, display of schemas, etc.

Open System Architect seemed to fit my demands, but unfortunately, the
installation documents do not exist, at least the links go in a circle
to nowhere. There's a binary which I assume can be executed, but at
least one of the libraries are versioned wrong, and I don't want to play
with symlinks just to make this work.

Has anyone installed a tool for PostgreSQL that will display logical and
physical data maps of a database such as what OSA is supposed to do? Can
someone recommend something they feel is worthwhile, regardless of it's
purpose, when running PostgreSQL? I'm running 64 bit Centos 5.7 and
PostgreSQL 8.1.

Thanks for any opinions.

steve campbell

Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Fri, September 23, 2011 8:54 am, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Been thinking about playing with PostgreSQL. When I did my research, on
> the PostgreSQL site, there were a few tools they "recommended" for
> design, display of schemas, etc.

I use pgAdmin III from the rpmforge repo. The name of the package is
pgadmin3.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, September 23, 2011 08:54:46 AM Steve Campbell wrote:
> Open System Architect seemed to fit my demands, but unfortunately, the
> installation documents do not exist, at least the links go in a circle
> to nowhere.

There is a commercially supported version called DataArchitect from The Kompany. ( www.thekompany.com ). It's not exactly cheap. OSA and TKC's DA are from the same basic codebase, but DA is (or at least was) rather well documented when I last used it.

But it will do what you want.