Old 09-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Always Learning

Default Wiki CR Repo Link Defective

On http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR

the link to a copy of 64 bit CR repo is not working.

The link is:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-6.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm

and the error message is (obtained from trying two distinctly different
IPs on two distinctively different ISP networks):

"Not Found
"The requested
"URL /centos/5.6/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-6.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm was not found on this server.

"Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at mirror.centos.org Port 80!

Centos server IP = 91.210.106.98.

Regards,

Paul.
England
EU.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 AM
John R Pierce

On 09/21/11 8:42 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> Onhttp://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/CR
>
> the link to a copy of 64 bit CR repo is not working.
>
> The link is:
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-6.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm

5.7 has been released, obsoleting the 5.6/cr/

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 AM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 09/21/11 8:42 PM, Always Learning wrote:

> 5.7 has been released, obsoleting the 5.6/cr/

John or Always

I am in a low bandwidth environment, and so cannot do this
myself

Plesae file a bug at: http://bugs.centos.org/ so that the
release process checklist for point releases includes a formal
item to take steps to prevent this repository state

Thank you

-- Russ herrold

Old 09-22-2011, 06:28 AM
John R Pierce

On 09/21/11 11:21 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, John R Pierce wrote:
>> > 5.7 has been released, obsoleting the 5.6/cr/
>
> Plesae file a bug at:http://bugs.centos.org/ so that the
> release process checklist for point releases includes a formal
> item to take steps to prevent this repository state

What state should it be in? should that file be referenced as

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
?

or should there be a new

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.7/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-7.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm

generated with the new release ?

I'm not sure I can fully think out all the ramifications of this.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM
R P Herrold

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

> What state should it be in? should that file be referenced as
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
> ?
>
> or should there be a new
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.7/cr/x86_64/RPMS/centos-release-cr-5-7.el5.centos.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> generated with the new release ?

The neeed to know the solution is less clear than the need
just to capture into either package' centos-release' or
centor-release-cr, if it exists, the fact that there is an
issue, and optionally a link to the pipermail thread URL, or a
but of a reminder of the fact that there is an issue when
retiring CR

Thank you

-- Russ herrold

Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM
John R Pierce

On 09/22/11 12:09 AM, R P Herrold wrote:
> The neeed to know the solution is less clear than the need
> just to capture into either package' centos-release' or
> centor-release-cr, if it exists, the fact that there is an
> issue, and optionally a link to the pipermail thread URL, or a
> but of a reminder of the fact that there is an issue when
> retiring CR

ok, not my best bug report.
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5136

but I guess it will serve as a placeholder for clarifications.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 09-22-2011, 04:29 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

> ok, not my best bug report.
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5136
>
> but I guess it will serve as a placeholder for clarifications.

you know, "if there is not a report, there is not a bug"

I've addressed the documentation issue already facing end
users in the wiki article that Always mentioned, and indeed,
I'd encourage you to join the centos-docs mailing list and get
a wiki UserId ... we use CamelCase FirstLast NameForms and
that way you too can help contribute even more to CentOS with
minimal barriers to entry

Thank you, and 'atta boy

-- Russ herrold